How to Write a Delegation Letter
Delegate responsibility to make your life easier
Your letter should be pleasant, not offend or come across as overbearing. A tactful delegation letter you can simplify your life.
When writing your delegation letter, don't forget to consider:
- What are the specific duties and responsibilities that you want to delegate, and exactly what are the objectives you hope to achieve? Is there a deadline for their completion?
- Is this a permanent situation? If not, exactly how long do you want the delegation period to last?
- Will the employee to whom you are delegating new responsibilities need additional training? Is there a source he/she can turn to with any questions that may arise?
- Will it be necessary for another employee to cover the regular responsibilities of the employee who will be delegated new ones?
- Will you expect the employee to work extra hours to fulfill the new responsibilities he/she has been delegated?
- Will the employee who is delegated new responsibilities receive compensation in the form of a pay increase or a bonus?
- Should you acknowledge the employee's successful handling of the delegated responsibilities by publicly praising him/her in the department, either verbally or in a written communication?
- Note: Write a formal letter to the employee who has accepted the new responsibilities, even if the delegation letter is a follow-up to an interview in which you explained the situation in person.
Are tweets, emails and texting dulling your letter-writing skills?
The professional guidance of 4,001 Business, Sales & Personal Letters will keep you sharp.
Writing a letter can be as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Find a delegation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our software guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective delegation letter.
- Print your delegation letter and send it!
Enjoy our Letter-Writing Templates Risk Free for 30 Days
It is fast and easy. If you ever need to redownload, you can for free—anytime!