As the topic suggests, this announcement can send a chill through the ranks. Still you must make a direct, no nonsense statement, tempered with understanding and optimism.
1. Explain the situation with authority.
- Effective immediately, there will be no increases in any staff positions until we have a better reading on fourth quarter sales.
- Please be advised that there will be no more hiring until I have personally authorized it.
- Our third quarter performance dictates that we must put an immediate freeze on hiring for the indefinite future.
- Please advise your division that there will be a moratorium on hiring additional staff until further notice.
- I regret to inform you that we must freeze all hiring indefinitely. Employees leaving the company after today will not be replaced without my personal approval.
- a year-end deficit
- able to avoid a direct layoff, but
- advise your division that
- an immediate freeze on hiring
- effective immediately
- employees leaving the company
- freeze all hiring indefinitely
- has become necessary for us to
- moratorium on hiring
- no new personnel can be hired
- performance dictates that
- prevents us from hiring
- probably not come as a surprise that
- regret to inform you
- until the next fiscal year
- until further notice
- will be no more hiring
- will not be replaced
- without approval of the
2. Explain in a general way why the company is taking this action.
- Our dismal performance during the first two quarters of this year makes this action necessary.
- Our domestic sales seem to have peaked, so we must focus more closely on international markets.
- Rising interest rates have forced us to postpone building the new complex for the customer relations division.
- Our rush to reach the holiday markets has left us overstaffed in several sections.
- The pending merger with Doe International suggests that there may be layoffs in some departments. We cannot in good conscience continue to hire until this situation is resolved.
- It appears we overestimated our need for seasonal help.
- as you are probably aware
- belt-tightening throughout the industry
- budgets cut to bare essentials
- cuts in consumer spending
- find ourselves overstaffed
- importance of remaining competitive
- makes this action necessary
- may necessitate layoffs
- overall budget cuts
- overestimated our need for
- pending merger with
- poor sales during
- postpone our expansion plans
- reduction of staff due to attrition
- release of this quarter's
- revenues did not match our projections
- rising interest rates
- slowdown in the entire industry
- uncertainty in the marketplace
- year-end deficit
3. Express understanding, possible adjustments, and anticipation for a return to hiring.
- I realize that this may present a hardship for some sections. If we work efficiently, this phase may pass quickly.
- I know this announcement comes at a difficult time, but we must conserve our assets until we can develop new markets. We hope to be in a position to lift the freeze by June.
- None of us likes this situation, but current economic conditions have caused a slowdown in the entire industry. Still, we expect an upturn in the second quarter.
- The next few months may be difficult for some departments, but let's resolve to keep morale high.
- I understand that this action may upset some managers who were hoping to replace retirees at the end of the year. I will be willing to discuss and consider individual cases.
- am as disappointed as you that
- appreciate your loyalty and cooperation
- can get through this together
- comes at a difficult time
- difficulties should ease when
- expect an upturn after
- get through this relatively unscathed
- hope this phase will pass quickly
- hope to be in a position to
- hope to be back to normal soon
- increased workload
- know that I appreciate your extra effort
- may present a hardship
- may be difficult for
- regret the hardship this may cause
- shoulder extra responsibilities
- situation is temporary
- trust that we will be able to lift the freeze by
- try to keep morale high
- willing to discuss
- willing to make adjustments to
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)