This announcement is a formal, public statement of an intent to marry. It identifies the engaged persons, their parents and their places of residence. Before submitting an announcement, check with the newspaper editor for policies and guidelines. Example sentences also indicate appropriate wordings for when the parents are divorced, one of them is deceased, or if the engaged couple is making the announcement themselves. See also "Announce an engagement with an invitation," and "Announce an engagement in a personal letter."
1. In most cases, begin with the names of those making the announcement--usually the bride's parents.
- Mr. and Mrs. John Doe announce the engagement of their daughter, Mary, to Eric Stevens, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Stevens of Springfield, Kansas. (This is the conventional pattern.)
- Mr. and Mrs. John Doe announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Jane, to Eric Stevens, son of Robert and Suzanne Stevens of Springfield, Kansas. Jane Doe is also the daughter of the late Suzanne Johnson. (This wording may be used when one of the parents is deceased and the other has remarried.)
- Mr. John Doe announces the engagement and forthcoming marriage of his daughter, Ashley, to Eric Johnson, son of Melvin and the late Anne Johnson. (This wording may be used when one of the parents is deceased.)
- Mr. John Doe of Springfield, Kansas and Mrs. Beth Stevens of Centerville, Kansas announce the engagement of their daughter Mary to Eric Johnson, son of Melvin and Anne Johnson of Springfield. (This wording may be used when parents are divorced and have different surnames.)
- Mr. John Doe announces the engagement of his daughter, Mary, to Eric Johnson, son of Melvin and Anne Johnson of Springfield. Mary Doe is also the daughter of Beth Stevens of Centerville, Kansas. (This wording may be used when parents are divorced and only one parent is making the announcement.)
- Mary Doe and Eric Johnson are delighted to announce their engagement and forthcoming marriage on June 15. (This wording is appropriate when the engaged couple makes the announcement.)
- Eric Stevens and Mary Doe plan to marry on June 15, 2002, at the Center Church in Springfield. The couple's parents are Professor and Mrs. Andrew Stevens of Springfield, and Mr. and Mrs. John Doe of Springfield, Kansas.
- also the son of
- also the daughter of the late
- announce the engagement of
- announce the forthcoming marriage of
- are happy to announce that
- are delighted to announce the
- both of Springfield, Kansas
- engagement of their
- engagement and forthcoming marriage of
- have the honor of announcing
- is the son of
- is the daughter of
- of Springfield, Kansas
- plan to marry on
- son of John and the late
- take pleasure in announcing
- the marriage will take place at
- the daughter of
- the couple's parents are
- the son of
- will be married on
- wish to announce their
2. Add additional personal information in accordance with the newspaper's policies.
- Ms. Doe, a graduate of Doe Academy, is also the former Miss Kansas. Mr. Stevens is a graduate of West Point Academy, and is serving as a Captain in the U.S. Army in Hawaii. The couple will reside in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- The couple is planning a spring wedding in Springfield, where they are both employed at Doe International.
- The groom is enrolled in medical school in Baltimore, Maryland, and the bride will be teaching in the Baltimore public schools.
- The couple will recite their vows in the Springfield Lakeside Chapel and honeymoon in Florida. Mr. Doe is a member of the law firm of Doe and Stevens. Ms. Stevens is a student at Doe Academy.
- both graduated from
- was elected to
- honor society
- graduated with honors
- has been active in
- is a member of
- is enrolled in
- is a student at
- is a graduate of
- is employed as
- is serving as
- is the former
- planning a spring wedding in
- the couple will reside in
- to be held in their honor
- well known for
- will make their vows in
- will exchange marriage vows at
- will honeymoon at
- won an award for
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)