When canceling or postponing an appointment, be polite and concise. There is usually no need for a lengthy explanation.
1. Tell the reader why you must cancel or postpone the appointment. Be sure to identify the particular appointment by date, time, and place.
- I regret having to cancel our appointment for next Tuesday, but my daughter is scheduled for surgery that day.
- I am afraid I must postpone our April 24 meeting at the Hotel Doe. I have been asked to clear my schedule that day for an urgent meeting.
- Unfortunately, I cannot keep our September 6 appointment. I have been reassigned and my new project will take me out of the country for that week.
- We must reschedule the May 17 board meeting. We were unaware of the regional conference on that day.
- I appreciate your dinner invitation for February 9, but I will have to take a rain check on it. I had forgotten that I will be out of town on business.
- I regret that will not be ready to meet with you on June 3, as we planned.
- am sorry to say that
- am obliged to cancel
- an unexpected complication has arisen
- as we had planned
- because of unforeseen difficulties
- didn't realize that
- find it necessary to
- have been asked to
- have to cancel our
- necessitates a delay
- need to postpone
- on that day
- regret that I will be unable to
- regret having to cancel
- suggest that we postpone our
- unavailable at that time
- unfortunately slipped my mind
- was unaware that
- will have to reschedule
- will take me out of the country
- will not be in a position to
- will be unable to
- will prevent me from
- will not be ready to
- will be out of town
- will have to take a rain check
- won't be able to keep
- would hate to waste your time
- would it be possible to postpone
2. If you wish to reschedule, propose a new time and/or place, or invite the reader to get in touch with you.
- I will be in town in November and will call to schedule another appointment.
- If convenient for you, I could reschedule our appointment for the same place on November 21, at 3:00 p.m.
- I would still like to meet with you. Please call me so we can set up a new time.
- Would it be okay to meet the next day at the same time and place?
- When I have a better idea about the status of the project, I will call you to reschedule the presentation. You can expect my call within two weeks.
- Please get in touch with me at the end of July to reschedule our meeting.
- arrange another meeting after
- call next week and reschedule
- can we change the time to
- contact me again next
- could reschedule for
- could you give me a call
- give me a call
- if convenient for you
- if you would still like to
- if it is possible for you
- let me know if
- let's plan for later that same week
- please get in touch with me
- please note that
- please mark your calendars
- same time and place a week later
- see if we can work out
- set up another appointment
- set up a new time
- should be back by
- unable to meet with you until
- when I have further information
- when the situation changes
- will get back to you
- will call you when I
- would you be so kind as to
- would it be okay to
- would be happy to reschedule
- would Monday work for you
- would still like to meet with you
- would it be convenient for you to meet me on
3. Close on a positive note.
- I look forward to meeting with you.
- We look forward to meeting you and learning more about your proposed project.
- I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, and I look forward to hearing from you.
- I apologize for the short notice, and hope we can get together soon.
- Again, we apologize for this change of plans, and look forward to hearing from you.
- am still interested in
- appreciate your cooperation
- do apologize for
- for this inconvenience
- for your understanding
- for your patience
- for this change of plans
- for the inconvenience
- hope you will forgive me for
- look forward to
- meet at your convenience
- sorry about the change in plans
- thank you for
- to seeing you soon
- to meeting with you
- to hearing from you
- to learning more about
- to establishing a
- value the opportunity to
- will do my best to
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)