Most businesses are eager to satisfy their customers and will respond to a complaint letter. There is no need to be challenging, so use a congenial tone. The problem is a mutual one. If you do not receive satisfaction, consider taking more serious action.
1. State all the relevant facts concerning the situation.
- On March 3, we ordered a single-phase electric motor from your company. When we received it on March 12, the casing was cracked, and the shaft was slightly bent.
- On August 21, I purchased an external CD ROM drive at your downtown store. When I unpacked it, I found that it did not include the cord to connect it to my computer, and the drive door would not close completely.
- On June 2, we received a two-bag shipment of your whole grain flour. When it arrived both of the bags had been ripped open, resulting in a loss of at least 20% of the flour we ordered.
- After your company moved our office furniture, we discovered three cracked picture frames, an oak chair missing a leg, and a scratched wooden desk. Our order number was 12345.
- Last week one of our subcontractors, Doe Security Systems, received twenty cases of your wall-mounted motion detectors (part # 123). When they opened the boxes to visually inspect the detectors, they found that many of the mounting brackets were twisted or broken in half.
- a number of blemishes
- after your company moved our
- agreed to accept shipment
- appeared to have been dropped
- are most dissatisfied
- arrived in unsatisfactory condition
- caused us to lose
- compared with an identical model
- did not work
- expected everything to be
- extensive damage to
- had been damaged
- have never before experienced this
- need to inform you
- non-refundable policy surely does not include
- not in working order
- packaging was intact
- products were damaged
- seemed to work well until
- should have been included
- upon opening the containers
- usually in good working order
- was not included in the
- was not included
- was not aligned properly
- were dismayed to discover
- were distressed to discover
- were not aware at the time
- when we opened the boxes
- when the shipment arrived
2. Include photocopies of purchase orders, contracts, or invoices that will validate your claim.
- Enclosed is a photocopy of invoice #123, dated September 1, 2001.
- I have included a copy of the purchase order that corresponds to this shipment.
- Please see the accompanying contract for the shipping instructions.
- With this letter you will find:
1. Copy of purchase order #123
2. Copy of carrier's bill #456
3. Our shipping clerk's memo on the damaged items
- Accompanying this letter is a copy of the shipping contract and the purchase order.
- accompanying this letter are
- according to our records
- am sending photocopies of
- are not liable for
- as protection against
- as the contract states
- clearly demonstrates that
- feel we are justified in
- has been documented
- have included these to show
- have sent a copy of the entire file
- have sent these to substantiate
- have enclosed copies of
- providing proof of damage
- purchase order clearly states that
- should assist you in tracking down
- the accompanying documents
- the enclosed photographs of
- the following paperwork
- to substantiate my claim
- to verify these assertions
- will verify my claim
- will shortly receive copies of
- would be happy to show you
3. Include a specific request regarding how you feel the situation should be rectified.
- I am returning the motor and would appreciate a replacement at soon as possible.
- We would appreciate it very much if you would replace the damaged mounting brackets for the roof blowers.
- We are sending the damaged monitors back to you and request that you send us replacements as soon as possible.
- Please send us another bag of flour at no additional charge to compensate for the flour lost during shipment.
- I am returning the damaged CDs. Please credit my account accordingly.
- Because you contracted with the carrier to ship the hardware, I would appreciate it if you would negotiate with them to settle the issue.
- am surely entitled to
- am returning the defective
- apart from this problem
- appreciate your efforts
- as soon as possible
- as we agreed
- as stated in the contract
- because you contracted with
- certainly merits action
- credit my account with
- damaged goods will be returned
- direct exchange would be
- entitled to a replacement
- expect more careful handling
- have received an estimate
- if you could rectify this situation
- kindly issue us a full refund
- request that you refund
- request full reimbursement of
- situation warrants immediate action
- situation seems to merit a
- specifically request that
- will be happy to send you
- would very much appreciate it if
- would be happy to negotiate with
- would appreciate your early attention to
4. Close the letter on a positive note, expressing confidence that the reader will do what is necessary to rectify the situation.
- I trust that your firm will make every effort to clear up this problem.
- Thank you for your help.
- I will appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
- I hope to hear from you soon.
- Please contact me as soon as possible. I am sure that we can arrive at a solution that will work well for both of us.
- Thank you for addressing my concerns. I look forward to doing business with you again.
- am confident that
- am sure that
- arrive at a satisfactory solution
- as soon as possible
- can't wait to receive
- clear up this problem
- determine the best solution to
- do what is necessary
- don't hesitate to
- for addressing my concerns
- for resolving this matter
- for giving this matter your consideration
- have always been satisfied with
- have never been disappointed in your
- have always enjoyed
- have confidence that
- hope we can maintain
- hope to hear from you
- look forward to
- make every effort to
- most effective avenue to pursue
- thank you for
- to hearing from you
- to receiving the replacement
- trust that you will
- will deal with this
- will do your best to
- will be mutually beneficial
- How to Write a Complaint Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Complaint Letter
- Write Complaint Letters That Get Results
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)