You should discuss the dismissal or termination first in person and then send this confirming letter. Don't prolong the pain by beating around the bush. Leave no doubt in the reader's mind about the meaning of your letter, but keep it as positive as possible. Be sure to explain the reasons for termination clearly. Remember, your letter is a written record.
1. Review the history of the situation.
- Financial problems over the past year have forced us to examine our resources carefully and make several cutbacks. Unfortunately, several full-time employees will suffer as a result.
- Our recent merger has resulted in duplication of efforts in several jobs. As a result, we must release several faithful Doe Corporation employees before the end of the fiscal year.
- Due to new programs in management, there will be several cutbacks. These will affect about 120 full-time employees throughout the company. Our department alone will lose eight employees.
- During the past six months financial problems have hurt us badly. Unfortunately, this has forced us to eliminate certain positions. We simply cannot find an alternative.
- We have worked together for several years now, which makes writing this letter especially difficult. You are aware, however, of the necessary streamlining of our work force to ensure our company's survival.
- a lot of hard thinking and long discussions preceded this decision
- after much serious deliberation
- after careful investigation and documentation of the issues
- am writing on behalf of
- as we have discussed in the past
- as you know, we have been hit hard by
- because of budget constraints we have had to
- budget constraints force us to
- cutbacks will affect about
- due to unfavorable market conditions
- economic conditions have hurt us badly
- financial problems over the past year
- have forced us to examine carefully
- have found it necessary to terminate
- have had to examine our resources carefully
- haven't been able to pull ourselves out of
- intense competition for our market share has forced us
- management has made the decision
- market conditions usually dictate
- must restructure our work force
- must eliminate several positions from
- other organizational changes
- proud history at Doe International
- provisions of the reduction in force
- recent financial problems
- recorded our lowest earnings in
- several full-time employees will suffer as a result
- sluggish economy and increased competition have forced us to
- take no satisfaction in writing this letter
- the corporate division finds it necessary
- the company has declined steadily during
- to achieve substantial cost reductions
- were first informed of the problem on
2. State clearly that the recipient's employment is terminated. Express your regret, but don't dwell on it.
- Therefore, it is with deep regret that I inform you of the recent decision to terminate your association with Doe Corporation as of October 15, 2002.
- I have the sad duty of informing you that your position is one of those to be eliminated.
- I regret having to tell you this, but due to these cutbacks your position will be terminated, effective February 20.
- These changes will affect your present position, which will be terminated June 30, 2002.
- I regret to inform you that as of May 22, we will no longer require your service at Doe Corporation.
- after several long discussions
- after a thorough budget review, your position, unfortunately, has been cut
- after much serious deliberation
- am the bearer of bad news
- as of March 15, we will no longer require your service
- cannot continue to employ you
- feel we have no other choice but to
- found no room for your position in the revised budget
- have come to a difficult conclusion
- sincerely regret that this action
- the corporate division finds it necessary
- these changes will affect your current position
3. Include any information regarding severance pay or benefits, if needed.
- We will pay your salary through the last day worked, including payment for accrued vacation and two weeks' pay in lieu of notice. Your insurance coverage is scheduled to expire on September 14. An outline of your options is attached.
- Your last work day will be August 18, after which you will receive a salary for one month. Your insurance coverage will last until November 1. Enclosed are several options for continuing your insurance policy after that date, if you wish to do so.
- Attached is an outline of benefits and conversion options available to salaried employees on lack-of-work status.
- After termination of your employment, your pay will continue for two full months. This is based on your five years of service with Doe Corporation.
- Your severance pay will allow you time to locate new opportunities.
- We have decided to continue your salary and benefits through the end of December. We trust this is sufficient time to find employment elsewhere.
- after March 15, you will receive a salary for
- after termination of your employment, your pay will continue
- because of your excellent performance
- benefits options with regard to pension and insurance plans
- can make no financial restitution
- can discuss the financial details further
- for financial reasons, we suggest a formal resignation rather
- have included an outline of possible benefits options
- have already requisitioned a check for you
- hope the time will allow you to find employment elsewhere
- if you have any questions concerning the financial arrangements
- if any of the financial guidelines are unclear
- in order to assist you during this transitional period
- please schedule an appointment to discuss financial
- several options for continuing your insurance policy
- the two-month payment is based on your five years of service
- will continue as a consultant until
- will send the check to your home
- will receive salary through
- will adhere to our policy on giving references
- will be eligible for unemployment if you do not have another job
- will continue your salary and benefits through the end of
- will receive a lump sum equivalent to
- will receive your vacation and two weeks' pay in lieu of notice
- will receive the customary two-weeks' pay
- would like to meet with you to discuss financial options
- your insurance coverage is scheduled to expire on
- your severance pay will allow you time to
4. End on a note of encouragement.
- With your computer and personnel skills, I have no doubt you will soon find a position with another company.
- I will be pleased to provide you with a letter of recommendation.
- Feel free to use my name as a reference as you search for another position.
- If there is any way I can assist you, please give me a call.
- I am truly sorry to see you leave and will certainly provide a good reference if you ever need one.
- We hope to rehire many employees if financial conditions improve over the next year. We will certainly contact you if another position becomes available. May you have success in finding a new position.
- You are extraordinarily competent and have high potential. We are certain you will find a new position that will be equally rewarding.
- I will be happy to help you in any way I can, now and in the future.
- We wish you success in finding a new job.
- We very much regret having to take this action, but we extend our best wishes to you for success.
- a position that gives you every opportunity for
- am truly sorry to see you leave
- another opportunity to further your career
- can almost assure you a position through
- confident you will easily find work in
- encourage you to explore your options within other departments
- extend our thanks and appreciation for the work you have done for
- glad to give you excellent references
- happy to discuss employment options
- have no doubt you will soon secure a position with
- help you any way I can, now and in the future
- hope that as economic conditions improve we will be able to
- if there is any way I can assist you
- made with great reluctance
- offer you my personal help in
- phone for an appointment to discuss your employment search
- please know that we will give you the highest recommendations
- please let me hear from you
- position that fully uses your capabilities
- rest assured that I will recommend you highly
- satisfied with your outstanding performance
- sincerely wish we could keep you
- sincerely hope our combined efforts will be successful
- termination was the last option
- to help you in finding another job as soon as possible
- truly wish the budget allowed for
- unfortunate occurrence is not meant to reflect upon your competence
- will contact you immediately if there are any openings
- will assist you in your efforts to find another position
- will personally vouch for your competence and productivity
- will highly recommend you to potential employers
- will have representatives from outplacement firms meeting with
- will consider you for another position when one becomes available
- will certainly provide a good reference when you need it
- wish you every success in your future employment
- wish you every success in locating a new position
- with your skills and abilities to work with people
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)