This letter may address an employee, a co-worker, a manager or supervisor, or a valued client. Maintain a tone that reflects your relationship with the reader. Be especially tactful if the reader is leaving under adverse circumstances.
1. Open with mention of the reader's departure, acknowledging the reason, if known and if positive. Let the reader know how you feel.
- When I heard you were leaving I couldn't believe my ears. But I do hope you have found something a little closer to home. Heaven knows 85 miles one-way is a miserable commute.
- Congratulations on your new assignment in Springfield! This department will miss you very much.
- Word on the street says you are shoving off and will be at the helm of your own ship. Congratulations!
- I was overjoyed to hear your good news! I know how long you have been waiting for a position like this to open up.
- We are all saddened to see you go. Your contributions to this department these past four years have been priceless.
- I hope your time with Doe has been as rewarding as it has been challenging.
- It is no secret that I wish you were staying with us. I know you will carry your respected managerial style into your new career with Doe Associates. I just wish they weren't our competitor.
- Though you are only moving upstairs to the bigger offices, we are certainly going to miss you.
- I know the Springfield offices will provide you with the kind of environment you can thrive in. Still, we are sorry to see you go.
- accept our best wishes
- am very happy for you
- are certainly going places
- are heading for greener pastures
- are all saddened to see you go
- are sorry to see you go
- being your own boss
- congratulations on your new
- have mixed feelings about
- hope you will enjoy
- in all your future endeavors
- is hard to say goodbye to
- is selfish to wish you would stay
- know you will thrive
- rumor has it you are
- sounds like a wonderful opportunity
- was overjoyed to hear
- will provide you with
- will miss you
- will not be the same without you
- will miss you sorely
- wish you the best of luck
- wish we could keep you
2. Mention specific benefits of your association with the reader and wish him or her good luck.
- Your skill with the machinery has been largely responsible for the smooth-running record of this shop. Please accept our best wishes in your new job.
- It is hard to say goodbye to such a great salesperson, and not just because you sell so many products. I will also miss your warm humor and consistent good mood.
- I have appreciated your work in Shipping, which has been superb right from the start. I especially admired the tenacity you showed in almost single-handedly shipping out that huge Doe order last year. Doe is getting a good man in you, and we are sorry to see you go.
- I have never worked under a manager I respected more than I do you. You have been not only my boss but also my friend. While I understand your reasons for leaving, I selfishly wish you would stay.
- We know you will do a fantastic job for Doe's. They need patient, even-tempered people like you. We wish you the best of luck.
- I soon came to recognize you as an invaluable resource. If anyone here "taught me the ropes," it was you, and I thank you. I hope someday I can be a similar model for a new employee.
- Bigger office, bigger money, company car, expense account, travel--I just don't see the attraction. But it's your life, I suppose. Congratulations and best of luck! You will knock them off their feet!
- I am pleased that you have found such a promising job in your specialization. I wish we could have provided the job you needed because you are the kind of employee we would like to keep. Best wishes for the future.
- We all know how much you have wanted to live and work overseas. Now that you are going we are happy for you, but you will leave some mighty big shoes to fill. Thank you for your hard work. We wish you all the best in your endeavors.
- are one of a kind
- count you as both a colleague and a friend
- don't know how lucky they are
- have set new standards of excellence
- have done an excellent job in
- have a remarkable ability to
- have benefited immensely from your
- have been an invaluable resource
- have great respect for you
- have appreciated your work in
- have long admired your
- is hard to say goodbye to
- need more people with your ability to
- our loss is their gain
- please accept our best wishes
- shoes will be hard to fill
- will be difficult to replace
- will be gaining a fine
- will do a great job for
- work has always been superb
- your skills have been very important to
3. Reiterate best wishes, encourage continued contact if appropriate, and close.
- I hope this won't be the last we hear from you. Keep us apprised of your progress every so often, and bring the kids by the office once in a while. Once again, congratulations...looks as if you hooked the big one. Hope it's a keeper!
- Let me know how this new assignment works out for you. We shouldn't lose touch just because you change offices.
- I really admire you and hope this new business flies higher than your wildest dreams. I'll be able to tell folks, "I knew Jane when..." Keep in touch.
- If anyone deserves a change of pace, it's you. I wish you the very best and hope we haven't seen the last of your face around this office!
- So many people come in and go out of this office that one really wants to keep track of the special ones. Please visit us when you are settled in the new job, and we can "do lunch" like the old times.
- All of us in Shipping wish you the very best in your new assignment.
- I can't let you get away without your promising that you will come see us every now and then. I admire you for taking this step and wish you the very best of luck in it. I have every confidence in your ability to go as far as you choose.
- accept our congratulations
- am confident that you
- come and see us every now and then
- deserve the best your field has to offer
- enjoy the change of pace
- for all your efforts here
- for your many contributions to
- have every confidence in your
- have certainly earned this
- hope we won't lose touch
- if you are ever in the area
- in your new assignment
- keep in touch
- keep us apprised of your progress
- know you will go far
- know you will do a terrific job
- look forward to hearing of your future successes
- looks as if you hooked the big one
- once you're settled in
- thank you for
- this well-deserved
- will be happy to
- wish you the very best
- How to Write a Farewell Letter
- How to Write a Goodbye Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Farewell Letter
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)