This letter must carry a tone of appreciation while expressing regret.
1. Express appreciation for the invitation, mentioning specifically what you were invited to do in a specific event on a specific day.
- Thank you very much for asking me to speak at your meeting on October 24.
- I am honored that you would consider me in your plans for your Labor Day festivities.
- Thank you very much for inviting me to perform at the convocation on May 28.
- I was surprised and honored to receive your invitation to speak to your society on December 7.
- I am pleased that you would include me on your Easter program next Sunday.
- I am flattered that you would ask me to give the opening address at our June 4 meeting.
- am flattered that
- am honored that
- felt honored by
- for thinking of me
- in your plans for
- inviting me to
- thank you very much for
- thank you for
- to speak at
- to perform at
- to receive your invitation
- was surprised and honored
- would include me
- would consider me
- would ask me to
- your flattering invitation
- your kind invitation
- your thinking of me
- your very kind letter
- your request that
2. Express regret that you are unable to accept the invitation, briefly mentioning the reason without elaboration.
- I am very sorry that I have to decline the invitation, since I am scheduled to participate in a conference in Springfield on that day.
- Unfortunately, your invitation was missent, so I didn't receive it until yesterday. I am sorry, but I simply cannot rearrange my schedule at this late date.
- I wish I could be with you on this occasion, but we will be attending our daughter's graduation on that day.
- Please accept my apologies. I have already accepted another invitation to perform that evening.
- I regret that I will not be able to speak on October 24, since that is the day we leave for our European tour.
- am very sorry that
- am so sorry
- am scheduled to
- had already accepted
- have to decline
- must regretfully decline
- on this occasion
- on that day I will
- please accept my apologies
- regret that I cannot
- schedule is full
- simply cannot make it
- that is the day of
- will not be able to
- will be attending
- will be out of town
- will be away
- will be unable to
- wish I could be with you
- would have loved to
3. If appropriate, suggest a qualified replacement.
- May I suggest that you consider Jane Doe to take my place?
- However, you may wish to approach my colleague, John Doe, who also performs with my group.
- You may wish to consider Jane Doe, who is rapidly becoming a popular speaker on this topic.
- If you would like, I could suggest several names of persons who I believe you would enjoy hearing from.
- a popular speaker
- also working in this field
- entertaining and knowledgeable
- if you would like
- in a related field
- making a name for herself
- may wish to invite
- may I suggest
- may wish to approach
- may wish to consider
- might enjoy hearing from
- my colleague is an expert on this topic
- often speaks on this subject
- performs with my group
- is rapidly becoming
- suggest several other names
- suggesting that you contact
- take the liberty of
- to take my place
4. Express wishes for the event's success.
- My sincere wishes for an enjoyable and informative evening.
- Thanks again and have a wonderful evening.
- Best wishes for success. I hope I can attend next time.
- I am sure the conference will be rewarding for all.
- I hope everything turns out well at your meeting.
- Best wishes to you all. Please let me know how things turn out.
- adjust your plans successfully
- am sure that
- an enjoyable evening
- best wishes for success
- enjoy a delightful
- enjoyable and informative
- from your description of the program
- have a wonderful
- hope things go smoothly
- hope everything turns out well
- hope I can attend next time
- hope it goes well
- hope you will be able to
- make up your program
- rewarding for all
- sincere wishes for
- sounds well worth attending
- sure it will be
- to your complete satisfaction
- will be an outstanding success
- wish you all the best
- wish you well
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)