An expression of sincere appreciation will help soften your negative response.
1. Express appreciation for the invitation, mentioning specifically what you were invited to do in a specific event on a specific day.
- Thank you very much for the invitation to attend your conference on October 13.
- We were delighted when we received the invitation to your parents' anniversary celebration on May 26.
- I was honored to receive your invitation.
- We are pleased that you would include us in your plans for next Sunday.
- Thank you for the note inviting us to the reunion next March.
- Thank you for inviting us to Helen's graduation party next Saturday.
- appreciated your thinking of me
- appreciated your thoughtfulness
- are pleased that you
- for inviting us to
- it was kind of you to
- lovely to hear from you
- so very kind of you to
- thank you for
- thank you very much for
- the note of invitation
- the invitation to
- to receive your invitation
- was flattered that you would include us in
- was touched you remembered me
- was honored to receive
- were delighted to receive
- were so pleased to receive
- your kind invitation
- your very kind letter
- your plans for
2. Express regret that you are unable to accept the invitation. Briefly mention the reason without elaboration.
- I am very sorry that I have to decline the invitation, but I am scheduled to participate in a conference in Springfield on that day.
- Unfortunately, your invitation was missent, so I didn't receive it until yesterday. I am sorry, but I simply cannot make it.
- I wish I could be with you on this occasion, but we will be attending our daughter's graduation on that day.
- Please accept my apologies. I have a pressing business engagement that evening.
- I regret that I will not be able to attend on October 24th, since that is the day we leave for Europe.
- am very sorry that
- am so sorry
- am unable to
- another longstanding engagement
- had already accepted
- have to decline
- is not possible for me to
- must regretfully decline
- on this occasion
- on that day I
- please accept my apologies
- regret that I cannot
- that is the day
- was already scheduled to
- will be attending
- will not be able to
- will be unable to
- will be out of town
- will be away
- wish I could be with you
- would have loved to
3. Express good wishes for the event's success.
- My sincere wishes for an enjoyable and informative evening.
- Thanks again and have a wonderful evening.
- Best wishes for success. I hope I can attend next time.
- I am sure the conference will be rewarding for all.
- I hope everything turns out well for your meeting.
- Best wishes to you all. Please let me know how things turn out.
- a resounding success
- a memorable occasion
- a most enjoyable evening
- am sure that
- best wishes for success
- enjoy a delightful
- enjoyable and informative
- have a wonderful
- hope things go smoothly
- hope everything turns out well
- hope it goes well
- hope I can attend next time
- rewarding for all
- sincere wishes for
- sounds well worth attending
- sure it will be
- to your complete satisfaction
- will be an outstanding success
- wish you all the best
- wish you well
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)