A courteous, tactful letter acknowledging a gift can be an effective public relations tool even though you are not accepting it. Make your reason for not accepting it clear.
1. Thank the reader for his or her thoughtfulness or compliment him or her in some way.
- I appreciate your thoughtfulness in sending me tickets for the playoff game.
- The vase that was delivered to my office yesterday is lovely. Thank you for thinking of me.
- How thoughtful of you to include me in your plans for a trip to Disneyland.
- It was very kind of you to leave the lovely gift on my desk. Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
- You have very good taste. The tie you left for me is really beautiful.
- a wonderful way to say thank you
- appreciate your thoughtfulness in sending me
- appreciate your offer to
- couldn't have chosen a more beautiful arrangement of
- feel honored to be the recipient of such a magnificent
- how thoughtful of you to include me in
- how thoughtful you are in your choice of gifts
- is well suited to the decor and mood of the office
- recent gift of appreciation as a result of
- show that your taste in gifts is impeccable
- thank you for so thoughtful a gift
- thank you for the valuable
- thank you for thinking of me
- thank you for the lovely
- that was delivered to my office yesterday is lovely
- totally unexpected gift
- was very surprised to receive
- was a very kind gesture
- went out of your way to
- what exquisite taste you have in
- what a beautiful gift you had delivered to my office today
2. Give a brief reason for your refusal.
- Unfortunately, company policy prohibits me from accepting gifts from clients, so I am returning the gift to you.
- Since Doe's discourages employees from accepting gifts from wholesalers, I did not accept delivery of the vase.
- However, I would feel uncomfortable accepting such an expensive gift from a student.
- Your generosity has touched me deeply, but I must return the gift because the directors have forbidden us to accept any gifts from customers while we are in Doe's employ.
- I wish I could accept the gift, but it would cause hard feelings among those with whom I must work every day.
- although the figurine you sent me yesterday is beautiful
- am undeserving of such a show of gratitude
- a sincere regret because of its great beauty
- acceptance of gifts in this manner could compromise
- allow me to return it
- am sorry that I must return the
- am returning the gift to you
- because company policy prohibits me from accepting gifts from
- cannot accept such an exquisite
- cannot accept gifts from suppliers
- company policy discourages
- company policy must be followed
- great pains to maintain my image of impartiality
- has been returned, but not my appreciation of your thoughtfulness
- irreplaceable nature of the vase would leave me forever indebted
- it would be inappropriate to accept
- know that it was well meant
- long-standing policy is that
- must decline your offer
- no one company may be dealt with on an exclusive basis
- nonetheless, your kindness is appreciated
- policy not to accept expensive gifts from clients
- regret that I must return it
- regret, however, that it must be returned
- regrettably, the offer must be refused
- since Doe's discourages employees from accepting gifts from
- would feel uncomfortable accepting such an expensive gift from a
3. End on a positive note.
- Thank you again for your kind thought.
- I do appreciate you thinking of me.
- I am sure you will understand. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated.
- Your good intentions will not be forgotten.
- My sincere thanks for your good thoughts.
- am sure you understand
- appreciate your generosity
- come see me whenever it is convenient
- do appreciate your thinking of me
- it is with much gratitude that I thank you
- look forward to visiting with you in the future
- please accept my sincerest thanks
- please allow me to return it
- please accept my appreciation of your thoughtfulness
- thank you for your kind thoughtfulness
- thank you for thinking of me
- thank you again for your kind thought
- thank you so much for caring
- was nice of you to think of me
- wish you the very best
- your thoughtfulness is well received
- your generosity will not soon be forgotten
- your thoughtfulness is appreciated
- your kindness is appreciated
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)