There are several reasons associated with family which may compel your resignation. Your spouse may be transferred or offered a job in another city. The birth of a child or illness of a family member may require your presence at home, or you may just want to move to be closer to family or children. It is appropriate to mention such reasons. If your reasons are of a personal or private nature (drug abuse, divorce, emotional problems, criminal indictment, etc.) you need not discuss them.
1. Make a clear and direct statement that you are resigning. Identify by title the position you are leaving, and give an effective date.
- Although I love my job here at Doe Corporation, present family circumstances force me to resign my position as Executive Secretary, effective on the last day of this month, May 31, 2002.
- After thinking about it for a long time, my wife and I have decided to move out West to be closer to our children. Therefore, please accept this letter of resignation from my position as supervisor, effective at your convenience sometime before May 15th.
- I am sorry to inform you that I must resign my position as Assistant Sales Manager. I intend to leave the company by the end of this month.
- I appreciate the time you gave me this morning to discuss my current family situation. This letter will make official my resignation from the company and my position as Credit Manager.
- With great regret I submit my resignation from Doe Corporation, effective at your convenience in the next three weeks. I have enjoyed my work as Area Supervisor during the last five years, but my family is my first priority at this time in my life.
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- although I enjoy my position as
- although I have enjoyed my work at
- am offering notice so that
- am offering my resignation as
- an earlier departure would be more convenient
- as soon as you find a replacement
- as of this date, I am formally resigning as
- as convenient for you as possible
- circumstances require that I resign my position, effective
- decided to resign my position as
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective on the last day of this month
- feel that the change will be beneficial to
- feel that it is the right decision for me
- final date of employment will be
- have enjoyed my work as
- hereby resign from my position with
- hereby submit my resignation as
- is written with sadness
- is to notify you that
- it is with deep regret that after
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- must resign my position as
- must leave the company
- my required two-week notice
- offer my resignation as
- personal problems compel me to
- please accept this letter as official notification of my resignation
- please accept my resignation as
- please consider this my resignation
- please accept my regrets
- present family circumstances force me to resign my position as
- recent events demand that
- resigning was the furthest thing from my mind, but
- resigning my position with
- sorry to inform you
- suggest an effective date of
- to inform you that I plan to
- until a replacement is appointed
- when a replacement is found
- will be leaving my position as
- will leave preferably before
- wish this resignation to take effect on
- wish to resign my position
- with great regret I submit my resignation from
- with much reluctance and regret
- with mixed feelings of leaving
- with deep regret, but with some excitement, I must resign as
- with regret I submit my letter of resignation as
- with sadness I submit
- with great reluctance I am submitting my resignation, effective
- would like to leave as soon as possible
2. Give more information on your plans and comment on the difficulty of the decision, if you can do so honestly.
- I am moving back to California to care for my mother. Her health is now rapidly failing, and I want to be near her. Some people have suggested that I bring her here to live with me, but since I left home I have wanted to move back to the San Francisco area and live in the old house where I grew up.
- Although I love my job here at Doe Corporation, my wife has accepted a partnership position in a Chicago law firm, and I wish to support her decision.
- After a great deal of soul searching, I have decided to return to school and finish my degree. I have been accepted into the graduate program at Doe University, which means that my family and I will be selling our house and moving as soon as possible.
- Since work in my husband's field is difficult to find, we need to move to a location with a better job market.
- You have no doubt heard that my son, diagnosed last year as HIV positive, recently returned home extremely ill. We have welcomed him back, and I have committed myself to caring for him.
- My reasons for leaving Doe Corporation are personal and private, but I assure you they have nothing to do with the way I have been treated here. I am very sorry to have to leave.
- As I said when I joined the company, and have reiterated many times since, I don't mind occasional travel. However, my travel assignments have steadily increased to the point that I am now away more than I am home. My first obligation is to my family, and I have been offered a position with a company that can accommodate my priorities.
- am now away more than I am home
- appreciate an opportunity to speak with you
- based on personal considerations
- decided to return to school and finish my degree
- decided to move out West to be closer to
- first obligation is to my family
- have been accepted into the graduate program at
- have committed myself to caring for
- have given serious thought to making a change
- have decided to return to school
- have been very fair in terms of compensation
- if there are any problems
- increased needs of a growing family, require that
- it's reached a point that
- makes it impossible to continue
- my first priority at this time in my life is
- my spouse has accepted a partnership position in
- my family will be relocating to
- need to move to a location with a better job market for my spouse
- need to make some tough decisions about
- personal difficulties are increasing demands on
- plan to pursue my interest in
- sorry to have to leave
- time for another challenge
- travel assignments have steadily increased
- will be packing up our home and children and moving to
3. Express appreciation and gratitude for training, experience, or relationships.
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years. I felt very unsure of myself when I started here five years ago, but under your guidance and supervision I have developed confidence and skill.
- I appreciate the time you spent with me to make sure that I did my job properly.
- The most enjoyable aspect of my job is the relationships I have developed here.
- I count you and other people in the office among my closest friends.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years are invaluable.
- You have helped make my years here successful and productive.
- a genuine pleasure to have worked with you
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to work with you
- all the help you have given me
- always enjoyed my work here
- always remember your patience and consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- among the finest people I have ever known
- appreciate the opportunity to learn about
- appreciate the time you spent with me
- appreciate the time you gave me to discuss
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes to all of you for years of expansion
- best wishes for the future success of
- can't tell you how much I've enjoyed working for
- enjoyed working with you
- enjoyed my time with the company
- enjoyed working for the company
- experience gained during my association with
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- express my sincere appreciation to
- for being a wonderful supervisor
- for the pleasant, yet challenging atmosphere
- for all your support and encouragement over the years
- friendships I have gained here have been
- have developed valuable ties with
- have enjoyed very much working under
- have learned a great deal
- have enjoyed my work as
- helped make my years here successful and productive
- important part of my career
- interest in my career
- it's been a pleasure working with you
- makes me feel needed and wanted
- many fond memories associated with the company
- my job has always been a great source of satisfaction
- never forget your kindness
- the most enjoyable aspect of my job has been
- the guidance you've given
- the opportunity to earn
- the help you have given me
- under your guidance I have developed
- want to thank you for
- you were very understanding when I made mistakes
- you stood by me when
- your genuine concern for my professional growth
- your willingness to be flexible in scheduling
- your confidence in my abilities
4. Solicit a letter of recommendation, if appropriate
- I think you would agree that I have made a substantial contribution to the company. I would appreciate it very much if you would write a letter of recommendation for me.
- I hope you will not mind if I list your name as a reference on applications when I reenter the job market in two years.
- Thank you for generously offering a letter of recommendation. Because I expect my family crisis to keep me out of the job market for at least two years or more, I would appreciate it if I could carry your letter with me when I leave next week.
- Because you know my work so well, I would appreciate being allowed to list you as a reference when I start looking for a job in Chicago.
- I have enjoyed working for the company, and my employee evaluations and ratings have always been very high. Consequently, I would appreciate a recommendation from you if any future or prospective employers ask about me.
- a strong recommendation from you
- appreciate it very much if you would write a letter of recommendation for me
- generously offering a letter of recommendation
- if any future or prospective employers ask about me
- in case I need a reference, may I use your name
- list your name as a reference on applications
- my employee evaluations and ratings have always been positive
- when I start searching for a job in
- would appreciate being allowed to list you as a reference
- would appreciate it if I could carry your letter with me when I leave
5. If you think there is a possibility of regaining your position, or if such a possibility has been suggested to you, say something about it.
- Obviously, I don't expect you to hold a position open for me, but I appreciate your kind suggestion that I reapply for a job with the company after my family crisis is over.
- It was very kind of you to offer to take me back "in a heart beat." I just might take you up on that offer when my child starts school.
- I can think of no company for which I would rather work, and I appreciate your offer to take me back if the circumstances are right for both of us.
- I have enjoyed my time with the company, and I hope to return someday if the opportunity presents itself.
- I appreciate your kind offer to take me back in my former position when the family crisis is over.
- appreciate your kind suggestion that I reapply for a job with the company after
- can think of no company for which I would rather work
- don't expect you to hold a position open for me, but
- hope to be able to serve again
- hope to return someday if the opportunity presents itself
- if the circumstances are right for
- kind of you to offer to take me back when
- reenter the market in
- when my child starts school
- when the family crisis is over
- How to Write a Resignation Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Resignation Letter
- Resigning your way to success...your ticket to good references for future jobs
- Writing Your Way to Success: Resignation Letters
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)