People take early retirement to travel, devote time to other interests, start a business, take advantage of financial incentives, or to escape from a line of work they dislike or no longer care about. Whatever your reason may be--let this letter be a positive expression of your experience. Little is gained by negative words at parting.
1. Make a clear and direct statement of your intention to resign. Identify by title the position you are leaving, and give an effective date.
- Some time between now and the end of the year, but preferably before October 1, I plan to take early retirement from my position as Northwest Division Supervisor.
- I submit my retirement notice with mixed emotions, because I love working at Doe Corporation as Head of Security; on the other hand, I feel the need to explore other interests.
- Please accept this letter as notice that I will be leaving my position as Division Head to take early retirement.
- Please accept this letter as official notice of my resignation from my position as Computer Designer to take early retirement. As we agreed in our conversation this morning, I will be leaving at the end of this month or sooner, if a replacement is found.
- As you well know, I am scheduled for retirement when I turn 65 in May of 2006. However, after serious consideration, I have decided to take early retirement from my position as accountant, effective at the end of this quarter.
- after considerable thought and consideration
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- although I enjoy my work as
- am submitting notice of my early retirement
- am sorry to inform you that
- am offering notice so that
- an earlier departure would be more convenient
- as early as would be conveniently possible
- as soon as you find a replacement
- at your convenience
- decided to take early retirement from my position as
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective on the last day of this month
- effective two weeks from the date of this letter
- feel that it is the right decision for me
- feel that the change will be beneficial to all parties
- final date of employment will be
- have decided to take an early retirement
- hereby resign from my position with
- it is with mixed feelings that I submit
- the purpose of this letter is to notify you that
- it is with deep regret that I
- intend to leave the company by the end of this month
- little to be gained in delaying my retirement
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- personal problems compel me to
- plan to take early retirement from my position as
- please accept my regrets
- please consider this letter official notice of my early retirement
- sorry that I must eave
- sorry to inform you that
- submit this notice of retirement with mixed emotions
- suggest an effective date of
- to take an early retirement
- to inform you of my decision to
- to inform you that I plan to
- to announce my decision to resign early
- when a replacement is found
- will be taking early retirement at the end of the year
2. Give your reasons for leaving, explaining the difficulty of the decision, if appropriate.
- I've decided that there is little purpose in delaying my retirement for three more years.
- I have enjoyed my work here immensely, but my wife and I would like to pursue other interests right now while we are still young.
- After 30 years of punching the time clock, I am ready for a change. Fortunately, the company's early retirement incentive makes it possible for me to leave with little financial loss.
- The company's recent incentive for early retirement has been so appealing that I have decided to accept it at the end of this fiscal year.
- I have long dreamed of opening my own store. I recently realized that if I didn't take the leap soon, it would never happen.
- am taking early retirement because of
- am ready to move on
- came to the realization that
- early retirement incentive makes it possible for me to leave
- have long dreamed of
- have always wanted to be
- have long given serious thought to making a change
- is not intended to reflect adversely upon
- is too good to ignore
- it will come as no surprise
- my primary interest has been in
- my first priority at this time in my life is
- plan to pursue my interest in
- ready to devote the rest of my life to other interests
- very little financial loss
- while we are still young
- withdraw in order to pursue other interests
- would like to pursue other interests right now
3. Express appreciation and gratitude for relationships and good times.
- I have enjoyed tremendously my association with Doe Corporation during the last 30 years. My job here has always been a great source of personal satisfaction to me. You and my other co-workers are among the finest people I have ever known.
- I appreciate the assistance you have given me and the confidence you have shown in my abilities from the start.
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years.
- I appreciate the time you spent training me in order to make sure that I did my job properly. You were patient when I made mistakes and encouraged my growth.
- Among the many enjoyable aspects of my job are the friendly relationships I have developed here.
- I count you and the other people in the office among my closest friends.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years are invaluable.
- You have helped make my years here successful and productive.
- I appreciate your willingness to be flexible in scheduling while I finished law school. I will never forget your kindness.
- I have always appreciated your confidence in my abilities.
- I appreciate your genuine concern for my professional growth.
- I appreciate your friendship and association more than I can say.
- a genuine pleasure to have worked with you
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to
- always remember your consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes to all of you for
- best wishes for the future success of
- enjoyed working with you
- everything you have done for me
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- experience gained during my association with
- express my sincere appreciation to
- for the chance to work and learn at
- for the pleasant, yet challenging atmosphere
- for your help over the years
- for all your support and encouragement
- for being a supportive supervisor
- has prepared me well for
- have my respect and admiration
- have enjoyed working with you
- have greatly enjoyed my tenure with
- have developed valuable ties with
- have learned a great deal
- it has been a pleasure working with you
- keep fond memories
- my work has always been a great source of satisfaction
- significant career growth which I shall always appreciate
- the many kindnesses you extended to me and my family
- the opportunity to earn
- the support and encouragement you have given me
4. Discuss the time for an orderly transition and transferal of your responsibilities.
- I will be happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement and make sure that the transition goes smoothly, but I would like to leave as soon as possible.
- As I do not want my departure to cause problems, I will try to finish my current projects before the end of the month. If I am not able to complete them, I will prepare status reports in sufficient detail for my successor to take over with a minimum of lost time and confusion.
- I will be happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement.
- My staff is quite capable of carrying on until a replacement is appointed. I would even suggest promoting my assistant, Jane Doe, to be the new department head.
- My books and records are in order, and I have prepared progress reports detailing the status of the projects I have been working on. I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about my work.
- be happy to assist with training my replacement in
- before taking my leave
- orient and train the new person
- finish the projects before my end-of-the-month departure
- glad to help acclimate and train my replacement
- happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement
- happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about
- happy to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement
- make sure that the transition goes smoothly
- my books and records are in proper order
- prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor
- if you would like more time to find a replacement
- would suggest promoting my assistant
5. If you want to continue working on a limited basis, solicit opportunities for consulting or on-call assignments.
- Although I must relinquish my full-time work schedule, I would appreciate it if you would add my name to the list of consultants.
- As you know, I set up my own consulting company a few years ago and will continue doing that work on a limited basis. I would appreciate any work you can offer.
- I plan to do a limited amount of consulting during the next few years, so if any potential clients approach you with projects that are too small to be worth your while, I would appreciate the extra business.
- I would not mind being involved in special short-term projects during the summer months while we are in the area, but we plan to head south during the winter.
- appreciate any work you can spare
- appreciate it if you would add my name to the list of consultants
- during the summer months
- have made a substantial contribution to the company
- my employee evaluations and ratings have always been
- plan to do a limited amount of consulting
- would not mind being involved in special short-term projects
- would appreciate the extra business
- How to Write a Resignation Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Resignation Letter
- Resigning your way to success...your ticket to good references for future jobs
- Writing Your Way to Success: Resignation Letters
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)