Your reader deserves to know why you are not accepting the suggestion, but a long letter is not necessary. Include only enough explanation to assure the reader that you took the suggestion seriously, but you cannot implement it at this time. Be sure to acknowledge your appreciation for the suggestion.
1. Review enough of the suggestion to assure the reader that you have given it proper attention. Give the bad news and explain under what conditions you might reconsider.
- Thank you for your memo regarding the use of an outside legal firm. At this time we have no need for such services, but in case we should ever need them, I will file the name of the firm you recommended.
- I received your memo about increasing productivity, and I believe your idea has merit. Unfortunately, the new budget changes this year prevent us from incorporating your ideas; however, if our budget is increased in the next year or so, I would like to open this discussion again.
- Thank you for your letter about Publications. We have considered your suggestion and while we agree the department is not as productive as we would like, we do not believe that eliminating it would be wise at this time. I will keep your idea in mind in case we ever make such a cut.
- I was pleased to receive your sales ideas last week. They certainly make sense; however, I don't think we will try them right now, since sales are higher than ever. If they fall in the next year, however, we would want to reconsider your valuable suggestions. They certainly have merit.
- I received your letter about the monthly meetings, and I agree they are not always as productive as I would like, but we need them for the coordination of our managers. We are trying to make the meetings more productive. When the current issues are resolved, we will meet less frequently.
- I appreciate your letter of April 3, suggesting how to increase environmental awareness in the workplace. I have given it serious consideration since I, too, am concerned about the environment. Unfortunately, we have spent as much as we can justify on these programs this year so we will have to wait until next year to implement your suggestion.
- agree that the department is not as productive as we would like
- am as concerned about the problem as you are
- are revising the format to make them more productive
- believe your idea has merit
- do not agree that completely eliminating
- do not see that we have a use for them right now
- have spent as much time and money on such programs as we can justify
- have given your suggestion serious consideration
- have no need for such services at this time
- identify and resolve the problems that have surfaced
- if our budget is increased we can
- if the occasion ever does arise
- in case we should ever need
- keep it in the back of your mind
- look over your ideas again
- must admit that the last meeting was not particularly productive
- need the insight and cooperation of
- new budget changes this year
- prevents us from incorporating your ideas
- received your memo about increasing productivity
- regarding the use of an outside legal firm
- sales are higher than they have been
- save the name of the firm you recommended
- suggestions certainly have merit
- thank you for your memo about
- thank you for your letter last week
- they certainly make sense
- was pleased to receive your innovative idea
- would want to reconsider your valuable suggestion
- would like to sit down with you to
- would solve the problem at this time
- your idea would make perfect sense, but
2. Thank the reader for offering the suggestion.
- Even though we cannot use your idea right away, please continue to communicate other suggestions or concerns that you feel would be in our best interest. We appreciate your interest in the project.
- Thank you for your kind remarks and for taking time to show your interest in our company's welfare.
- Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.
- We thank you for thinking about our welfare.
- We appreciate your letter and encourage you to continue sharing your ideas with us.
- Thank you for your insights. Our best ideas for improving the company have come from our employees, so please continue to share your ideas with us.
- admire your courage and conviction
- any other concerns about our progress
- any other suggestions or concerns you may have
- applaud your personal integrity
- appreciate your letter expressing
- appreciate any ideas our employees may have
- appreciate your putting the company first
- appreciate your interest in the project
- encourage you to continue sharing your ideas with us
- even though we cannot use your idea right away
- please continue to share other ideas you may have
- please continue to advise us
- taking the time to show
- thank you for your kind remarks
- thank you for thinking about our welfare
- thanks for thinking about how we can improve
- thanks again for your helpful suggestion
- your interest in our company's welfare
Try our Letter-Template Software Risk Free for 30-Days When You Buy at WriteExpress.com
If You’re Not Satisfied Return it for a Full Refund
1 $19.99 value free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)
2 Free with purchase of our software for Windows (not Macintosh)