This announcement will normally be sent to a newspaper and will contain fewer personal comments than a personal letter. There are no hard and fast rules about how to state the names of parents. Although most parents will share the same surname, some parents will be unmarried, some will be single parents, and others, although married, will have different surnames. Your choice will reflect your own situation, attitude, and values. If you want to add any commentary beyond the basic information of birth, weight, height, etc., check with your newspaper for guidelines. Expect to pay a fee for this announcement.
1. State the sex of the child, date of birth, parents' names and hometowns, and grandparents' names, if appropriate. Include weight and length, if the newspaper allows it.
- On July 12, John and Jane Doe welcomed a 7-pound, 8-ounce beautiful baby girl into their home.
- Baby Tiffany, weighing 8 pounds, 5 ounces, and measuring 21 inches, was born to John and Jane Doe on July 15. Tiffany is also welcomed by her grandparents, Mayor and Mrs. Robert Johnson.
- John and Jane Doe are delighted to announce the adoption of a beautiful baby girl, Mary, age three months. She joins two brothers, Eric and Fred.
- John and Jane Doe are proud to announce the birth of their son, Tyler, born in Springfield, Kansas, November 23, 2001.
- Jane and John Doe and big brother Eric welcome with love their new little 7-pound, 5-ounce daughter and sister, Ann, born March 1 at 5:45 a.m. The proud grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Robert Doe and Mrs. Anne Johnson.
- a lovely baby girl
- announce the birth of their
- are pleased to welcome
- are delighted to announce the
- are proud to announce
- born in Springfield
- born April 10 at 6:00 p.m.
- have adopted a baby boy
- have welcomed a beautiful baby
- is three months old and
- into their home
- is also welcomed by her grandparents
- joins a brother and a sister
- mother and baby are doing well
- new little son and brother
- weighed in at
- the adoption of a beautiful baby girl
- the proud grandparents are
- was born to
- weighing 7 pounds, 7 ounces
- welcome with love their
2. To the degree you feel is appropriate, add additional personal sentiments, or comments about other family ties.
- Family and friends are welcome to call any afternoon 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at the Doe home, 1600 Main Street in Springfield.
- Friends are invited to a celebration of this long-awaited event at the home of Tiffany's parents, Saturday evening, July 20, at 7:00.
- The parents are proud and happy to have this blessing in their lives. They express their love and appreciation for the support of friends.
- Family members from overseas will be joining a special family gathering to celebrate the event on Saturday, July 15.
- The parents express their appreciation for the assistance of the local adoption services. They are overjoyed to have little Eric as a member of their family.
- a special family reunion
- appreciate the support of
- appreciation for the assistance of
- are proud and happy to
- are grateful to his birth parents
- are overjoyed to have little
- as a new member of the family
- excited to have a little sister
- express their love and appreciation for
- express their gratitude to
- family and friends are welcome to
- has overcome many obstacles to
- invited to a celebration of
- longed-for addition to our family
- the adoption services
- their family and friends
- this very special event
- this long-awaited event
- to celebrate this happy event
- to have this blessing in their lives
Still can't find the right words for your announcement letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the announcement letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective announcement letter.
- Print your announcement letter and send it!