The obituary appearing in a newspaper will be more formal than an announcement to family or friends. It contains specific biographical data about the deceased and information that those wishing to pay respects will need. Since the need for the information is immediate, you should either deliver the information to the newspaper in person or read it to the appropriate person over the telephone.
1. Include the following information:
- Complete name of the deceased<br />Date and place of birth<br />Parents's names<br />Age at time of death<br />Place of residence<br />Date of death<br />Place of death<br />Civic or religious affiliations<br />Personal or career information<br />Names, relationships, and home towns of survivors<br />Names of immediate family who preceded the deceased in death<br />An indication of whether the services are private or open to friends and relatives.<br />If flowers are not wanted, a statement e.g., "Please omit flowers" or "Contributions to (name of recipient) preferred in place of flowers."<br />Date and place of services, viewings, and interment
- a service will be held
- after a long illness
- burial will be
- contributions may be made in the name of the deceased
- enjoyed performing
- fatally injured
- following a brief illness
- friends may call
- friends may pay their respects from
- funeral services will be held
- graduated from
- graveside service
- heroic battle with
- in lieu of flowers
- interment will be
- is survived by
- memorial contributions may be made to
- memorial services will be held
- passed away
- preceded in death by
- private memorial service
- retired from
- served his country during the
- services will be held
- significant contribution
- was a talented
- was a member of
- well known for
- will be sorely missed
Still can't find the right words for your announcement letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the announcement letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective announcement letter.
- Print your announcement letter and send it!