Your apology should be brief and to the point. Your reputation as a trustworthy customer and credit risk may be in question, so your immediate and thorough attention to the matter is important. Focus on your actions to correct the problem so it won't happen again. A sincere, well-worded apology can do much to defuse a potential problem.
1. State what has or is being done about the outstanding payment.
- Enclosed is our check for $330.
- Please find the enclosed check for $41.98. It covers our bill from last month for account #123.
- Enclosed is my credit card number. Please use it to pay this month's rent.
- Until now we were simply unable to pay our bills.
- I am writing to inform you that we will be three days late on our compressor payment. You will get our check on Wednesday. Thank you for your patience.
- attached is my check for
- attached is my check for
- called my bank immediately
- covering the extra charges for
- enclosing a check
- have enclosed an additional fee
- have now corrected this error
- have enclosed a money order to cover the cost
- have enclosed our check for
- immediately deposited ample funds to cover the amount of
- it covers our bill from
- our accounting department failed to notify
- please find enclosed my personal check in the amount of
- please find the enclosed check for
- remailed the payment
- should get it today
- the letter pertains to an unpaid bill for
- the full amount still owed to you
- the check is now in the mail
- the envelope was returned to our office
- the bank will send you a note of apology
- this check should cover the full amount
- to cover the cost
- will get our check on
- will start paying on
- writing to inform you that
2. Apologize for your lateness.
- We apologize for this late payment. Since this is our first payment under the new billing cycle, could you please waive the late fee?
- We apologize for this late payment. We have had a series of problems with our computer that we have now corrected.
- I hope my late payment has not caused any inconvenience and apologize if it has.
- We apologize for this unfortunate set of circumstances. If you have any questions, please contact our lawyer at 555-5555.
- We apologize for these circumstances. We will be able to begin paying creditors at the beginning of next month. Please bear with us until then.
- We apologize for this inconvenience.
- Thank you for your patience. We are sorry that this payment is late.
- I assure you that this was an exceptional circumstance. We are committed to follow the payment schedule that we worked out. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
- accept my thanks and apologies
- apologize for this late payment
- apologize if it has caused any inconvenience
- apologize for any concern that
- apologize for the inconvenience
- apologize for the oversight
- apologize for any unpleasantness
- apologize for not writing sooner
- are sorry that this payment is late
- hope that the delay has not caused you any inconvenience
- inadvertently underpaid the balance due
- note of apology for
- offer my apologies for the mix-up
- our first payment under the new billing cycle
- please bear with us until
- please accept our apology for the error
- regret that we
- sorry you had to wait so long for
- sorry to have caused you inconvenience
- this was an exceptional circumstance
- will be able to begin paying
- wish to apologize
3. End with a positive statement.
- I assure you this will not happen again. It has always been a pleasure banking with Doe Bank.
- We value our relationship with your firm and we look forward to doing continued business with you on this project.
- Since this was a bizarre occurrence, I can assure you that future payments will be on time. Thank you for your understanding.
- I assure you we are committed to making prompt and timely payments. Thank you for your understanding.
- Thank you for your patience. I assure you that this was an exceptional circumstance which we will not repeat.
- assured that the check will be
- assure you that all future payments will be on time
- assure you that this was an exceptional circumstance
- been a pleasure doing business with
- future payments will be on time
- assure you this will not happen again
- it has always been a pleasure
- look forward to doing continued business with you
- our relationship with your firm
- thank you for your understanding
- value our relationship with
- value your goodwill
- will continue to recommend
Still can't find the right words for your apology letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the apology letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective apology letter.
- Print your apology letter and send it!