Write this letter as soon as possible after the incident. Don't apologize unless you plan to take full responsibility, and don't blame anyone.
1. Begin with a straightforward apology.
- I am sorry I missed our appointment Friday. I know it was an important one.
- John, I would like to apologize for missing the staff meeting today.
- I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused by being late to this morning's staff meeting.
- I am sorry that conflicting schedules kept me from keeping our appointment yesterday.
- I apologize that I made people wait for me to deliver my presentation.
- Jane, I am sorry I was late for the training session this morning.
- John, I am sorry that I was late for our lunch last Friday.
- Jane, I apologize that I had to be absent from this morning's meeting.
- apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused by being late
- apologize for missing
- express regret for not being able to attend
- extend my apologies
- forgive me for missing our lunch
- missed my appointment
- hope you will accept my apology
- last minute change of plans
- made the mistake of
- made people wait for me
- no excuse could possibly convey my regret
- oversight caused
- please accept my apology for not meeting you
- sincerest apologies
- regretfully, I was out of the office when you called
- sorry I missed our appointment on
- sorry that other commitments
- understand your concern with my being late
- was absent from this morning's meeting
- was late for the training session
2. Indicate that you understand the seriousness of your absence and that you value your relationship with the reader. You may want to explain your lateness, but don't blame anyone.
- I was very disappointed that I had to miss our appointment because of other commitments.
- Being late for this meeting was the last thing I wanted to happen. Of all the mornings to find the interstate highway closed! Please accept my sincerest apologies.
- I understand that I missed an important meeting this morning. I apologize that I let you and the company down.
- Our meeting is still a priority with me. Please contact my secretary and make another appointment. I look forward to getting together.
- I am especially embarrassed about this because I value our friendship so much. Please forgive me.
- I value punctuality and assure you this will not happen again.
- I was wrong. I have no excuse. I assure you this will not happen again.
- I didn't know that this morning's meeting was a formal meeting meant to convene at exactly 10:00 a.m. I was under the impression that it was an informal discussion group. I was late because I was working on the project discussed, and I wanted to be ready to share the latest developments. I assure you that I am still firmly committed to the Doe contract and apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.
- all flights were canceled out of
- am especially embarrassed about this
- am very disappointed that
- an accident on the freeway kept me from
- anxious to talk with you about
- apologize that I
- ask for your understanding
- assure you that
- didn't realize that the meeting was
- feel bad about forgetting to
- had to miss our appointment because
- had to forsake several obligations
- had been informed that
- have briefed me on concerns
- look forward to our getting together
- missed an important meeting
- problem required my presence
- really have no excuse
- still a priority
- still firmly committed to
- the last thing I wanted to happen
- value our friendship
- wanted to be ready to share my ideas on
- was working on the
- was under the impression that
3. Acknowledge your reader's frustration, if appropriate, and end with a positive statement.
- I assure you this will not happen again. I will be prepared and on time for tomorrow's meeting.
- I intend to stay in town the night before our next meeting so neither of us need be concerned with delays in traffic.
- I am very excited to do my part in our weekly planning sessions and am eager for the next one on Wednesday.
- I know missing a meeting could appear to be a lack of commitment, but I missed the meeting because I was preparing graphs for the Doe proposal.
- I know what it is like to be stood up for an important appointment, so I sincerely appreciate your patience and ask your forgiveness.
- I appreciate the professional manner in which you handled the incident this morning. I apologize if my tardiness put you in an awkward position with the manager.
- I understand that such inconveniences can be very frustrating.
- If you are willing, I would like to reschedule for Wednesday. This time please let me pay for lunch.
- am as disappointed as you are that
- appreciate your support
- could we reschedule our meeting for
- enjoy a leisurely lunch
- get to together at your convenience
- have learned from this mistake
- hope to make it up to you
- know I caused you frustration
- know missing a meeting can make it look like
- let us reschedule for
- sincerely appreciate your patience with
- sorry my tardiness put you on the spot
- sorry my tardiness embarrassed
- such inconveniences can be very frustrating
- thank you for the professional manner
- thanks for your understanding
- will be prepared and on time at
Still can't find the right words for your apology letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the apology letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective apology letter.
- Print your apology letter and send it!