You may wish to check with the educational institution, prospective employer, or agency to find out whether they will assist you in obtaining a visa. Work through the consulate or embassy in your own country before writing overseas. Explain your intentions briefly but clearly, and if you have received an offer of employment, say so.
1. Explain what you wish to do or achieve. If family members intend to accompany you, explain your situation.
- I wish to spend a few months traveling in Kansas and intend to apply for temporary employment while there.
- I have been offered a job by Doe Corporation and wish to obtain a visa to work in Kansas for 18 months.
- I need a visa that will allow me to work in Kansas for 6 months.
- I need a student visa so that I can complete a doctoral degree at Springfield University.
- I intend to pursue post-graduate studies at the University of Springfield and need the appropriate visa.
- I will be participating in an international internship program and need information on how to apply for the necessary visas.
- My wife has been accepted for admission to Springfield University, which is organizing the paperwork for her visa. I would, however, like to be able to work while we are living in Springfield, if it is possible to arrange this.
- am in the process of arranging
- am preparing to
- am in a position to
- for permission to
- for temporary employment
- for a work permit
- for an appropriate visa
- have been offered
- have the opportunity to
- have the intention of
- how to apply for
- how to obtain
- in order to complete
- is my intention to
- need information about
- need to arrange for
- the necessary visas
- the opportunity to
- to allow me to
- to spend a few
- to apply for
- to be able to
- to work for a while in
- will be participating in
- would like to
2. Ask for the information or application forms you need and give your mailing address. Government agencies are unlikely to send a FAX or make a long-distance call under normal circumstances.
- Please let me know what I need to do in order to receive a work permit, and send me the necessary papers. My mailing address is 1600 Main Street, Springfield, Kansas 12345.
- Please advise me how to acquire the appropriate visa. I would very much appreciate your sending the information to my address below.
- I would appreciate your sending me the necessary forms and information.
- I need to know how to proceed in order to arrange this. Would you please send information and forms to me as soon as possible?
- Please send the information to:
- I would appreciate receiving information and advice on the best way to accomplish this.
- It would help me greatly if you would send the information to me at the above address.
- advise me how to
- along with instructions as to
- as soon as possible
- at the above address
- forms and information
- how I should proceed
- in order to
- mailing address is
- need information about
- please let me know
- receiving information and advice
- send it care of
- send me the necessary
- send the information to
- the best way to accomplish
- what do I need to do
- what to do next
- would very much appreciate
- your timely response
- your sending this information
- your sending me the
3. Close with an expression of thanks or anticipation.
- Thank you for your help.
- Thank you.
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- I will greatly appreciate any assistance you can give me.
- Thanks for your assistance.
- Thank you for any help you can give me.
- I would appreciate your help in expediting this matter.
- I will be grateful if you can send this as soon as possible.
- any help you can give
- any advice you can offer
- as soon as possible
- at your earliest convenience
- for your assistance
- for your help
- for your cooperation
- in expediting this matter
- in organizing this
- look forward to
- many thanks for
- thank you for
- to being able to proceed with
- to hear from you
- will be grateful
- will appreciate
- will greatly appreciate
- would appreciate
- How to Write an Application Letter
- How to Write the College Admissions Essay
- Writing in College - 15 Tips for College Students
Still can't find the right words for your application letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the application letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective application letter.
- Print your application letter and send it!