Use a positive tone as you give as much detailed information as you feel necessary to communicate the scope and importance of the appointment. If other employees will read the letter, it should contain enough information about the appointee's qualifications that others will recognize that he or she is qualified to fill the position.
1. Announce the appointment.
- As of June 7, we would like you to assume the position of Deputy Director of Corporate Finance.
- We are pleased to announce Jane Doe's appointment to the new position of Chief of Marketing. She will begin her new duties on September 1, and will be transferred to our corporate headquarters in Bloomington.
- You have been appointed to head a special task force to evaluate the alleged abuse of company facilities by employees.
- We have appointed Mark Doe to be the acting manager of the water department. This appointment is effective immediately and will run until further notice.
- We have just named Jane Doe as a member of the new task force to assess the needs of our distributors and vendors.
- announce the appointment of
- appointment was announced
- are pleased to announce the appointment of
- congratulations on your appointment
- great confidence in your ability
- has just been named as
- has been appointed as
- has been designated as
- has recently been appointed as
- have recently formed a committee
- is the best choice for
- it is with great pleasure that
- selected to fill this position
- to the position of
- want you to serve
- want you to fill the position of
- will assume his new responsibilities as
- will begin his new duties
- will add the position of
- will fill the position of
- will begin her new duties
- will temporarily assume
- will serve as
- will assume the duties of
- will take his place on the
- wish to report that
- would like to congratulate
- would like to appoint you to the position of
- would like to announce
- would like to recognize
- would like you to
- would like you to serve as
2. Briefly explain the appointee's duties and qualifications. Include any necessary information about the position.
- I feel that your work in the past as an advisor to the Doe Company and your experience as a counselor qualify you to evaluate how the company can avoid a machinists' strike. You will be working with Robert Johnson and Jane Doe. Your appointment begins immediately and will continue until the situation is resolved.
- He has had extensive experience as a public works supervisor. He will take over the City Harbor Commission on April 12 of this year and will continue in his duties for a three-year term, with the possibility of an additional three-year appointment.
- Because of Dr. Doe's reputation as a fine scholar and her election as "Teacher of the Year" for three of the last seven years, we feel she would be a natural appointee to the Academic Standards Committee. She will teach just two sections of literature per semester while she is serving on this committee. Her assignment begins with fall semester and will continue for three to five years.
- Ms. Doe has been with the company for eight years, and has been an assistant manager for the past three years. In addition to her other accomplishments, she headed the team responsible for designing the T-31 printer, has recently completed her master's degree in business and was a recipient of a Doe Fellowship. She will be responsible for finding new and more efficient ways to market our products overseas.
- Because of your years as a teacher, as a member of the City Council, and as a member of the Council of Churches, we feel you would be the best choice for Public Relations Committee chairperson. We anticipate that you will begin at the end of this month. Having already served on the committee, you are well aware of what your duties will be and how we feel about this important position.
- anticipate that you will
- appointment has a term of
- appointment is effective as of
- assignment will begin on
- because of your past experience
- by virtue of her experience as
- certainly qualify him for
- duties will include
- expect you to
- extensive experience as
- has been with the company for
- has contributed a great deal
- has recently received
- has recently completed
- her excellent performance as
- his remarkable accomplishments in
- his extensive experience with
- qualifies you to serve in this position
- qualify him well for
- the obvious choice for
- was a recipient of
- will be of the utmost importance
- will take over the
- will be responsible for
- will continue for
- will serve in this position indefinitely
- will assist in the department of
- will lead a task force to
- with the possibility of an additional
- work in the past has been superb
3. Close on a positive note, and reaffirm your confidence in the appointee's abilities.
- I look forward to working more closely with you over the next couple of months.
- If anyone can do this job well, I know you can.
- We feel that Mr. Doe is the right person to help this company become number one!
- We feel that Dr. Doe's expertise and experience will greatly benefit this institution.
- We feel that Jane will provide the boost we need to become the premier cable network in this area.
- accept my best wishes
- am confident that
- are the right one for the job
- are needed now more than ever
- congratulations are in order
- have great confidence in
- in this new responsibility
- join with me in welcoming
- look forward to
- our confidence in
- our confidence in your ability
- thank you for your service
- to working more closely with
- under your leadership
- will see significant growth
- will do a fine job
- will all benefit from
- will have a great impact on
- will do an outstanding job
- will be a valuable addition to
- will help this company become number one
- will be a great asset
- will help us reach our goals
- wish to express our
- your example will influence
- your continued success
- your expertise and experience