If you must cancel or decline to schedule an appointment, be brief but polite. Avoid comments that could be interpreted as derogatory or critical. Possibly suggest another positive course of action.
1. Explain why you must cancel or decline making the appointment. Be specific about which appointment you are referring to, if one has already been made.
- We are no longer interviewing persons for positions overseas, so it would not help you to meet with me on this issue.
- I am afraid that a mistake has been made. My secretary has scheduled an interview with you for March 11. Unfortunately, I will not be in town that day, nor the following month.
- I don't believe that I am the right person for you to speak to about our company's insurance plan.
- Since applying to your company, I have accepted another offer, so I will not be able to meet with you on April 17.
- I will be overseas when your sales representative is in Los Angeles, and regret that I will be unable to meet with her.
- Your appointment was made in error. Our department is not hiring at this time.
- after careful consideration of
- am not the right person
- am not the appropriate person for you to see
- am afraid a mistake has been made
- am not in a position to
- an unfortunate misunderstanding
- appears to be premature
- are no longer accepting
- are no longer interviewing
- don't think I have the proper perspective
- don't think I would be able to assist you
- have no need of
- have already made plans for
- have made an error
- have prior commitments
- have little need for
- is not hiring
- need time to consider
- regret to say that I will be
- will be unable to
- will not be able to
- will not be available to
- will not be feasible for me to
- will be gone for an extended time
- won't be available
- would be of no use to you
2. Suggest alternatives for the reader.
- I think John Doe is the person who can help you best. His number is 555-5555.
- If you would still like to meet with someone in our firm, I suggest that you contact John Doe. He may be able to assist you.
- If you need to speak with someone before the product is released, I suggest you set up an appointment with John Doe.
- You may want to contact Jane Doe in the Human Resources Department regarding insurance.
- I will be back in town at the end of August. If you would like to contact me in early September, I will be happy to meet with you.
- If you are interested in working for our corporation, you may want to contact the personnel office.
- am enclosing a list of
- at a later date, perhaps
- could perhaps help you
- have you considered contacting
- if you would still like to meet with someone
- if you would like to contact me at that time
- if the situation changes
- invite you to
- it may be more beneficial to
- keep me on your mailing list
- may I suggest that
- may wish to call
- may wish to consider
- may want to contact
- perhaps you could contact
- person who can best help you
- refer questions to
- that any appointments be made directly with
- that you set up an appointment with
- that you contact someone in
- will attend on my behalf
- will be in contact with you
- will get back to you
- will keep your information on file
- would be happy to review
- you may wish to contact
3. Close on a positive note.
- I wish you all the best in your search for funding.
- Thank you for your interest.
- I am confident that if anyone can help, he can.
- I hope that these suggestions will be helpful.
- I am sure Ms. Doe can answer any questions you may have.
- Please feel free to contact my secretary if you have any questions.
- am confident that
- am sure that she can
- appreciate your letting us know
- best wishes
- best wishes for your success in
- for informing me of
- for understanding our position
- hope things work out for you
- hope that this will be of benefit to you
- hope this will be satisfactory
- if anyone can help, he can
- look forward to
- please feel free to
- thank you for
- to meeting you there
- to give you an introduction to
- to hearing how it turns out
- trust that this will help
- wish you the best of luck
- would be happy to
Still can't find the right words for your appointment letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the appointment letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective appointment letter.
- Print your appointment letter and send it!