Whether you have missed an appointment, or will miss an appointment in the future, a note to the party with whom you were to meet, explaining why you had to miss or will have to miss your appointment, is a courtesy that will be appreciated. It shows that you do take the relationship seriously. Be concise and polite.
1. Tell the reader why you missed or will miss the appointment, giving only the necessary details.
- Because I was double scheduled yesterday afternoon, I had to miss our appointment. I am very sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you.
- I will not be able to make our meeting tomorrow at 1:00. This morning, the CEO asked me to fly to Denver to meet with him, and I won't be back until Thursday.
- I am sorry I wasn't able to make it to the board meeting last week. Of all places, I was in the hospital.
- While reviewing my notes from last week's team meeting, I noticed that I was supposed to meet with you this morning in Room 154. In the rush of getting orders out, I simply forgot.
- For the last two weeks in May, I will be touring our European facilities, and will therefore not be in attendance at the shareholders' meeting.
- a sudden emergency
- am afraid that I forgot
- circumstances beyond my control
- completely slipped my mind
- have been double-booked
- have to miss our appointment
- missed our appointment
- must apologize for
- running behind schedule
- sorry for the inconvenience
- sorry I wasn't able to make it
- was unfortunately delayed
- was supposed to meet with you
- will be unable to keep our appointment
- will be out of town
- will therefore not be in attendance
- will be unable to
- will not be able to
- won't be available until
- won't be back until
2. Suggest or ask for a course of action to make up for your absence.
- If you would still like to meet, I am available tomorrow at 10:00 or 3:00. Give me a call and we can arrange something.
- If possible, I would like to have a copy of the minutes of the April 13 meeting, so I can keep myself abreast of project developments.
- Is there a time next week when we could meet together? Please give me a call and we will work something out. Thursdays are generally good for me.
- I was wondering if I could send somebody from my team to represent me? If such an arrangement would be satisfactory, please call and I will ask someone to fill in for me.
- If you could reserve conference room #2, I could call from Germany and participate in the discussion on the speaker phone. I will be leaving Friday, so please let me know as soon as possible whether this would be an acceptable arrangement.
- could send a representative
- first possible time will be
- if you would still like to meet
- let's reschedule for
- please give me a call
- please let me know
- schedule is booked up until
- the next convenient time for you
- what I can do to
- will arrange something then
- will be happy to
- will be available on
- will be free on
- will work something out
- will be more than willing to
- won't be free again until
- would this arrangement be satisfactory for you
- would you be able to
- would it be possible to
- would this be a good time for you
- would like to receive a copy of
Still can't find the right words for your appointment letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the appointment letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective appointment letter.
- Print your appointment letter and send it!