There is no need to go into great detail about why the wedding is off. When possible, give the guests ample notice, especially those who have to travel long distances.
1. State directly that the wedding is canceled.
- Our daughter's wedding, scheduled for July 16, has unfortunately been canceled.
- We regret to inform you that the wedding of our daughter, Jane, to Eric Doe has been canceled.
- Dr. and Mrs. John Doe<br />are obliged to cancel the invitations<br />to the wedding of their daughter<br />Jane<br />to<br />Mr. Robert Johnson
- Thank you very much for the wedding gift you sent. It was very thoughtful of you. Unfortunately, I must return it because the wedding has been canceled.
- I appreciate the check you sent me in the mail, but I must return it. John and I have called off our wedding.
- This may come as a surprise, but the wedding train has once again been derailed. Just when we thought we had everything in order--chaos.
- after careful consideration we
- are obliged to cancel the invitations to the wedding of
- at least for now we
- have agreed to cancel our marriage
- have decided to cancel our wedding
- have decided not to get married at this time
- have canceled their wedding
- have postponed our wedding indefinitely
- it is with regret that we announce that
- must cancel the invitations to our daughter's wedding
- regret to inform you that the marriage between
- regret to inform you of the cancellation of
- thank you for the gift, but I must return it since
- the marriage will not take place
- the wedding is off
- the wedding has been canceled
- there will be no wedding
- will not be getting married
- have decided to cancel
2. Although unnecessary, you may offer a brief explanation to certain friends.
- There are several issues we feel we need to work through before we make that kind of commitment.
- They feel they are not ready to make such a weighty commitment.
- Both of us believe that there are things that we ought to do in our lives before we commit to marriage.
- We have become unsure of making such a serious commitment and have decided to take some time to reconsider.
- They feel that they would be more comfortable taking some time to get to know one another a little better.
- as the pressure of the wedding plans began to grow
- before we commit ourselves
- caused us to reconsider
- decided to take some more time to
- feel they are not ready to
- felt we were rushing an important decision
- have been having some serious doubts
- make that kind of a commitment
- most important decision we will ever make
- need to take more time to
- not sure that we are right for each other
- prefer to take more time to
- problems we thought we could solve with love
- realized that our love was not strong enough to
- several issues we need to work through
- the stress of the last few months has made us
- things we ought to do in our lives before
- to get to know each other better
- to think about such an important decision
- to make such an serious commitment
- unsure about making such a serious commitment
3. Apologize for any inconvenience, and close on a positive note.
- We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
- Thanks again for your support. There is a possibility that the wedding will still take place.
- We know this will upset your plans. If you still want to come and stay with us for a few days, you are certainly welcome.
- Thank you for all your support. We hope we can write better news soon.
- We appreciate your understanding at this difficult time.
- We do apologize for any inconvenience.
- apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you
- appreciate all your kindness to us
- appreciate your support
- appreciate your understanding
- hope to have better news for you
- hope that we will still get to see you soon
- hope that you have not yet finalized your
- know that you will understand our decision
- know this will upset your plans
- only sorry that we have inconvenienced
- returning your lovely gift
- sorry to disrupt your plans at this stage
- sorry for the inconvenience to you
- sure that this is the right decision for now
- thank you for being such a kind friend
- thank you for the gift you so kindly sent us
- thanks for all your help
- this is a difficult time and I appreciate your
- understand that this is short notice
- were so looking forward to seeing you again
- would still love to have you come stay for a while
Still can't find the right words for your cancellation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the cancellation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective cancellation letter.
- Print your cancellation letter and send it!