Make your message brief, but let the reader know that you regret having to cancel or postpone the invitation.
1. Tell the reader why you need to cancel or postpone the invitation.
- I am terribly sorry, but since we invited you and your wife for dinner, we have both fallen ill and feel that we need to postpone our plans.
- Because of a scheduling error, I will not be able to meet with you on March 16, as I originally suggested.
- I have recently learned that my mother is having serious health problems, and my family has asked me to fly to Springfield to be with her. I regret that I will have to postpone our meeting until I return.
- Recent mismanagement of funds has forced us to postpone the awards banquet.
- Because of a high priority project that is due Saturday, I won't be able to keep our luncheon appointment Friday.
- am obliged to postpone
- am terribly sorry
- am so sorry that I will be unable to
- because of a scheduling error
- due to the unavailability of
- emergency meeting has been called
- feel that we need to postpone our
- has necessitated a change in our plans
- has forced us to postpone our
- has been sent out of town unexpectedly
- have recently learned that
- regret having to postpone our
- serious illness of my
- since accepting your kind invitation to
- sorry to have to forego a
- will be unable to attend
- will be leaving town on
- will not be able to meet with
- won't be able to keep our appointment on
2. Either suggest other arrangements or tell what other arrangements you are making.
- As soon as Jane is feeling better we will be in touch to make another appointment.
- We are hoping that you will be able to reschedule your presentation for June 16.
- I will call you when I get back so we can schedule another time for our meeting.
- Please take good notes for me at the conference. We will talk when I get back.
- Please let me know what would be a good date to reschedule the open house.
- I am very sorry to have to miss this engagement. Please let me know if another similar opportunity arises.
- a little uncertain at present
- as soon as things settle down we will
- as soon as she is feeling better we will
- call you as soon as I get back
- call you when I get back
- call you as soon as he is feeling better
- can you reschedule for
- have to postpone this indefinitely
- if a similar opportunity arises
- love to take a rain check
- perhaps we could plan on
- perhaps we could reschedule for
- please let me know when would be a good time to
- please let me know when
- schedule another time for our
- unable to make any definite plans at present
- we hope you will be able to
- we will talk when I get back
- will call you next week to discuss
- will be in touch soon
3. Close with an expression of gratitude or anticipation for a future meeting.
- Again, thank you for your thoughtfulness.
- We appreciate your willingness to help out. We hope that we can work with you again soon.
- I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, and I am definitely looking forward to the open house.
- Maybe we can attend the next conference together.
- I hope we can reschedule our appointment very soon.
- always look forward to
- appreciate your understanding
- appreciate your kindness
- appreciate your friendship
- are all disappointed but we hope to
- enjoy our association with
- hope you will be able to make it on
- hope we can reschedule
- hope you will be able to
- hope to see you soon
- hope this will be a brief postponement
- know you will understand
- look forward to getting together soon
- look forward to participating later
- looking forward to the
- sorry for the inconvenience
- thank you again for your
- thank you for understanding
- trust we can attend the next
- were looking forward to
- your kind hospitality
Still can't find the right words for your cancellation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the cancellation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective cancellation letter.
- Print your cancellation letter and send it!