The person who corrects the error or makes the revision should notify others involved so that everyone has the same information.
1. Begin by stating the error and referring to previous contact with your reader, if appropriate.
- As I said on the phone this morning, I apologize for the confusion our misquotation has caused.
- We received your letter requesting that we correct your July 24, 2001, statement.
- Be assured that we have corrected the billboard wording that we discussed at last Friday's meeting.
- Enclosed is a revised copy of the final version of the Doe contract.
- This letter is to confirm our March 1 agreement that we will return the faulty handles and receive a full refund.
- am sorry that
- an unfortunate error
- apologize for the error
- apologize for the inconvenience
- as I said on the phone
- caused the error
- did not agree with
- enclosed is a revised copy of
- for informing us so promptly
- for your telephone call
- for alerting us to
- glad that you picked up our error
- in the last shipment
- information was incorrect
- instead of the original
- made an error
- received your letter pointing out
- regarding our error in
- regret the unfortunate error in
- sorry for the
- thank you for
- the price should have been
- was incorrect
2. State specifically what was (or will be) done to correct the problem.
- The price for your shipment, as usual, will be $49,000, and most certainly not the $490,000 that you were billed.
- We have credited $59 to your account. Your next month's statement should reflect this change.
- Our new billboard will read "Doe Suites--a Great Place to Stay." Evidently, the sign painter got our job confused with a contract he has with the Doe Veterinary Clinic. The clinic's sign was to read "Doe Veterinary Clinic a Great Place to Spay." Fortunately, he has agreed to repaint our sign, and the clinic's, as well.
- Please note the corrections made on pages 245-247. They should reflect the revisions you suggested.
- During that discussion, we agreed that rather than return the hundreds of defective items, our distributors would simply document them and destroy them on site.
- are reviewing your suggestions
- at no extra cost
- could easily be misinterpreted
- cover your expenses
- has been rectified
- have inspected the
- have notified the appropriate
- have changed the wording to
- include the newest corrections
- it now reads
- on the following pages
- please note the corrections
- rather than return the
- return the defective items
- the problem has been corrected
- the corrected edition
- the new wording will be
- to reduce the potential for misunderstanding
- to meet customer expectations
- will receive replacement stock
- will send corrected notices
- will replace the defective
- will correct the error
- will be ready for shipment
- will credit your account
- would appreciate your returning
3. Close with a congenial comment that builds confidence.
- Thank you for your understanding. Please don't hesitate to call if you have further questions. We are eager to see that you are a satisfied Doe customer.
- I hope this clears up any confusion there may have been. Please call me if you have any questions.
- Please let me know in writing if these proposed changes meet with your approval.
- I am very pleased that we caught this before the book went to press. Thanks again for your help and your sharp eye.
- I have also sent copies of the contract to John and Jane for their review. I want to move quickly on this, but let's wait until after our meeting with them on Monday before we send anything to Springfield. Thanks again for your valuable assistance.
- best wishes
- can be sure that
- don't hesitate to
- for accepting our apologies
- for your understanding
- for your timely
- glad we caught this before
- have sent copies to
- hope this clears up the
- if this is acceptable
- if you have further questions
- if you agree to these terms
- is an unfortunate exception
- regret the confusion
- regret any inconvenience this may have caused
- sure that this problem is
- thank you for
- to your satisfaction
- trust that this will
- very pleased that we
- welcome to call me
- will correct the situation
- will meet with your approval
- will resolve the
Still can't find the right words for your confirmation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the confirmation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective confirmation letter.
- Print your confirmation letter and send it!