When congratulating a friend, employee, family member, or associate on winning an honor or scholarship, express only the most sincere sentiments. You should not be excessively effusive in your praise, since such language is usually considered phony, nor should you overstep the bounds of decorum by using more familiar language than your relationship warrants.
1. Start with a direct statement of congratulations, specifically identifying the celebrated event.
- Congratulations on winning the company's Salesperson of the Year Award.
- I just found out that you were awarded the company's Manager of the Year Award, and I would like to congratulate you.
- Nice work! The news of your full-ride scholarship was no surprise to me. I know that you are both capable and deserving.
- Way to go! I'm impressed with the news of your recent award from the State Bar Association.
- Congratulations on winning the Employee of the Year Award.
- allow me to extend
- are very happy for you
- congratulations on winning
- extend my warmest congratulations to
- happy to see you receive
- honoring your achievements
- just found out that
- made my day
- my heartiest congratulations on
- offer my sincere congratulations
- on this outstanding achievement
- please accept my congratulations
- so pleased that you won
- think it's great that you won
- this significant achievement
- this well-deserved recognition
- want to add my congratulations
- was impressed when I heard
- was certainly well-earned
- was delighted to hear
- was delighted to read
- was with great pleasure that
- was no surprise to
- was indeed a pleasure to learn
- was no surprise to me
- was so pleased to hear
- would like to congratulate you on
2. Acknowledge such things as the effort, dedication, energy, sacrifice, or skill necessary for the achievement.
- I have been hoping you would win the award for several years now.
- No one deserves this award more than you.
- I know how hard you work, and I know you deserve the award.
- We appreciate your dedication to the company and the long hours you devote to your projects.
- Everyone knows of your dedication and sacrifice.
- It is good to have someone of your caliber in the office, and I appreciate the suggestions and advice you have given me.
- a tribute bestowed only on those who
- admire your effort and dedication
- appreciate your dedication to
- can all be justly proud
- certainly deserve the award
- comes as no surprise to
- commitment to excellence
- could not be awarded to a more deserving recipient
- good to have someone of your caliber
- has certainly paid off
- have worked so hard
- is richly deserved
- is a great achievement
- know how difficult it is
- know how hard you work
- must be very proud
- my hat's off to you
- no small achievement
- no one deserves it more
- proud to have you represent our
- the long hours you devote to
- tremendous contribution you have made to
- truly deserve this recognition
- wish you continued success
3. Express good wishes for future successes.
- I look forward to hearing about many more of your successes.
- Best wishes for more successes in the future. You have my full and complete confidence.
- Please keep me informed of your future successes.
- Keep up the good work!
- I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
- a stellar future
- am confident that you
- best wishes for
- express our very best wishes for
- for continued success
- for success in your new
- hearing about many more of your achievements
- in the future
- in your future endeavors
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- please keep me informed
- such skills are sure to take you far
- to bragging about
- will continue to do well
- will lead to a bright future
- wish you all the best
- your future looks bright
- your impressive accomplishments
Still can't find the right words for your congratulation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the congratulation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective congratulation letter.
- Print your congratulation letter and send it!