Persons who retire may have mixed emotions about it. For those who have money and plans it can't come soon enough, while others facing mandatory retirement may have nothing to look forward to but long days in front of the TV. Careful evaluation of the reader's situation and control of tone are essential.
1. Start with a direct statement of congratulations that also identifies the celebrated event.
- Congratulations on your retirement!
- If anyone has earned retirement, it is you! Now it's time to relax and enjoy yourself.
- I know of few people who have looked forward to retirement as much as you. Congratulations!
- Congratulations on a job well done. You have certainly earned your right to a restful retirement.
- Congratulations on the completion of 25 years of excellent service.
- a job well done
- add my congratulations to
- after all these years
- congratulations on
- do enjoy your leisure
- for a well-deserved change of pace
- hard to believe that
- have earned a rest
- have a right to
- have been looking forward to
- have certainly earned your
- my sincerest wishes for
- nobody deserves a rest more than you do
- of excellent service
- of your retirement
- on your retirement from
- such a successful career
- the completion of 25 years
- to relax and enjoy yourself
- will be busier than ever
- will miss your smiling presence
- will surely miss you
- will be sorely missed
- your recent retirement
- your approaching retirement
2. Acknowledge the employee's effort, dedication, energy, sacrifice, or skill that has made him or her a valued employee at the company, and express appreciation.
- You were already a solid fixture in this company when I came fifteen years ago, and I quickly came to respect your wisdom and sound judgment.
- I have always appreciated your wisdom and sound judgment here at the company. I will also miss your smiling face.
- Your dedication and sacrifice for the company have not gone unnoticed.
- We will always remember you as a skilled craftsman and congenial co-worker.
- I want you to know how much I have appreciated working with you. Your advice, when I took it, has helped advance my career. When I ignored it I did so at my own peril.
- are to be commended for
- devoted many years to
- for your years of outstanding service
- for the excellent job you have done of
- have appreciated working with you
- have worked long and hard
- have left us a legacy of
- have not gone unnoticed
- have helped me to
- have earned a break from
- have always appreciated
- helped to establish a
- how much I respect
- know of few people who
- learned so much from you
- many of your valuable ideas
- pleased to have been able to
- to have worked with you
- to work alongside you
- want you to know
- will miss your
- will always be remembered
- years you have given to
- your dedication to
- your wisdom and sound judgment
3. Mention the gift if you are giving one.
- You will, of course, receive a gift from the company at your retirement party next month.
- As a small token of our appreciation, we will be presenting you with a gift at the company banquet next week. We hope you and your wife can join us at 7:00 p.m.
- To express our appreciation, we are sending a gift.
- The enclosed gift certificate is our way of saying thank you for the service you performed for the company.
- A gift should arrive at your house within a few days. I hope you enjoy it.
- I hope you enjoy the gift we chose.
- I sent you a little something to help celebrate the occasion.
- A gift should arrive by mail within the next few days.
- a small remembrance
- a gift should arrive
- a little something
- all of us here
- are sending you a gift
- as a small token of
- at the company banquet
- at your retirement party
- from your coworkers
- hope it will remind you of
- hope you enjoy it
- is our way of saying
- on behalf of
- the gift I sent you
- the enclosed gift
- to help you mark your retirement
- to help celebrate the occasion
- to express our appreciation
- token of our appreciation
- will present you with a
- will receive a gift
4. Look forward to future success and happiness.
- I wish you all the best in your retirement years. Enjoy the fruits of your labor in prosperity and good health.
- I think you will enjoy the retiree's association. It is a way to remain a part of the company family without the company work. I hope to see you often at our parties and other functions.
- Best of luck in your future endeavors. From our conversations over the years, I know you will continue to be very busy.
- Enjoy your travels and your time together. I envy your freedom and look forward to my own retirement in a few years.
- Think of us here in the ice while you are basking in the sun.
- be able to work on
- best wishes for
- best of luck
- come see us often
- enjoy your travels
- enjoy your leisure
- envy your freedom
- for a long and prosperous retirement
- have all the time you want to
- hope to see you often
- in your retirement years
- in prosperity and good health
- in your future endeavors
- know that you will
- life of well-deserved leisure and travel
- may your days be filled with
- opportunity to do all those things
- so you can enjoy
- spend more time with
- sure you will enjoy yourself
- the fruits of your labors
- will be missed
- will finally have a chance to
- wish you all the best
Still can't find the right words for your congratulation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the congratulation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective congratulation letter.
- Print your congratulation letter and send it!