Unsolicited applications are typically ignored by the people to whom they are sent, but occasionally they are successful. Plan on a mass mailing campaign to a highly targeted group and expect a very low rate of return.
1. Be direct and provocative in the opening statement, but also make sure that the purpose of the letter is clear by identifying the position you are seeking.
- Are you currently in need of a financial officer with excellent credentials?
- I am seeking employment in the upper management of a small corporation.
- After serving as Vice President of Operations of Doe Motor Company for the past four years, I am looking for a senior management position in a medium-sized manufacturing firm.
- As you can see from my enclosed resume, I have directed public relations campaigns for some of Springfield's most prestigious firms.
- My wife recently accepted a job offer from a San Francisco law firm, so we will be moving to the Bay Area in the next few weeks. I am looking for a position in technical writing and editing in which I can take advantage of my 10 years of experience.
- I am inquiring about technical writing and editing employment opportunities in your company.
- Although you are not currently advertising for civil engineers, I think you might be interested in my unique qualifications and abilities in seismic retrofitting.
- I am very happy and successful in my present position
- although you are not currently advertising for
- am very interested in
- am looking for a position in
- am looking for
- am thoroughly impressed with your
- am currently searching for
- can use my experience
- enclosed resume will
- experience in the field of
- have no doubt heard that
- in a small corporation
- in upper management
- in my present position
- inquiring about employment opportunities
- present position provides
- seek a responsible position in
- seek employment in
- use my skills and experience
- use my training
- wish to work with
- might be interested in
- would be of interest to you
2. Briefly summarize your major qualifications and accomplishments by discussing your education and/or experience.
- Accounting<br />Three weeks from now I will complete my degree in accounting from Springfield State University. In addition to the standard accountancy course, I have further prepared myself by completing a minor in Spanish. I am fluent in the language and am fully prepared to work with Spanish-speaking clients.
- Administrative/Office Support<br />I am a recent graduate of the Secretarial Science program at Doe Community College, where I took courses in typing, dictation, office machines, WordPerfect, Lotus 123, technical writing, and office management.
- I am currently working as a secretary/receptionist in a busy medical office, but am eager to find additional challenges and opportunities for advancement.
- Computer<br />I am currently finishing my program in Computer Science at Doe State University, where I am fluent in the C programming language and the use of the UNIX operating system. Projects I have written using C include a 32-bit operating system, data base, graphics system, and data management system. Most of these projects were written under the UNIX operating system. I have also taught myself how to program in the Windows operating system.
- Construction Management<br />I received a degree in Construction Management from Doe State University five years ago, and I am happy with the quality of training I received. I have frequently found myself ahead of my peers who do not have degrees, especially when it comes to understanding and using the new industry technology.
- Engineering<br />My degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Springfield has thoroughly prepared me for the kind of communications work you described in your advertisement. I took several courses in communication systems, and I participated in the design of a new system during my internship with NASA.
- I obtained my degree in Engineering from Springfield State University, and now have 15 years of experience in highway engineering.
- Hotel/Restaurant Management<br />I received my degree in Restaurant and Hotel Management from Doe State University in 2005, obtaining a thorough grounding in the industry from one of the finest programs in the country.
- Legal<br />I received my law degree at the University of Springfield, graduating in the top 25 percent of my class. My area of expertise is in riparian rights.
- Operations Management<br />My Doe University BSME and MBA degrees qualify me for a variety of operations management positions.
- I will complete my MBA at Springfield State University in a few more weeks.
- Research Science<br />I am currently a laboratory technician at Doe State University. Much of my experience with genetic research comes from working with DNA cloning and DNA restriction digest cutting and analysis. I feel I have become an excellent research scientist during the last five years since earning my degree.
- Sales<br />I prepared myself for a position in medical equipment sales by completing an undergraduate degree in biology at Doe State College, with a minor in communications. I have advanced steadily while working for Springfield Medical.
- Operations Management<br />My MBA is in Management Information Systems, and I have administrative experience in computer systems management as well.
- Since earning an MBA at Springfield University, I have advanced rapidly through a succession of financial positions, including controller, regional controller, and Vice President of Finance and Administration. My leadership and management skills have materially contributed to the growth and credibility of the companies I have served. At Doe Corporation, I reduced operating expenses by more than $800,000 annually.
- Sales<br />I have been involved in construction equipment sales for 15 years and enjoy the work very much. I know the industry, have good contacts among local contractors, and have frequently been honored as top salesperson of the year. Each year I have increased my sales by more than 20 percent over the previous year.
- am fluent in
- am currently working as a
- am finishing up my program in
- am fully prepared to
- am seeking a position in
- area of expertise is
- carrying a minor in
- during an internship with
- education has provided me with
- has prepared me for
- have a broad background in
- have become proficient at
- have designed and built
- have continually pressed for
- have three years of experience in
- have frequently been
- have been involved in
- have prepared further by
- have experience in
- have advanced steadily in
- have had considerable experience with
- in my present position
- introduced improved methods of
- leadership and management skills
- my degree is in
- one of the finest programs in the country
- participated in the
- received high quality training in
- received a thorough grounding in
- received my degree from
- recently graduated from
- responsibilities have included
- since completing my degree
- spent five years working as a
- taught myself how to
- took courses in
3. Refer to your attached resume and the kind of information that can be found there.
- My attached resume provides details of my experience.
- A copy of my resume describing my skills and accomplishments is attached.
- My credentials are summarized in the attached resume. I will be happy to provide additional information and references as necessary.
- I will provide references if needed.
- Much of my employment has been overseas.
- I will be happy to provide references at your request.
- I am interested in a position that offers long-term stability in one area.
- My qualifications for this position are detailed in my resume.
- are detailed in my resume
- at your request
- attached resume provides
- copy of my resume
- credentials are summarized in
- describing my skills and accomplishments
- employment has been overseas
- highlight some of my achievements
- in the attached resume
- interested in a position in
- list of credentials
- long-term stability in one area
- plus extensive experience in
- happy to provide additional
- provides full details of my experience
- qualifications for this position
- relate to your requirements
- resume is attached
- strong background in
- travel as necessary
- will provide additional references
- willing to relocate
4. Close with a reiteration of your opening assertion and a specific request for action or contact.
- If you currently have need for a person with my qualifications, I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you in person.
- I have enclosed my resume for your perusal. If you have questions concerning my qualifications and experience, please contact me at 555-5555.
- I hope you will take a moment to run through my resume and think about your current and future staffing needs. I can be reached by phone at 555-5555, and my fax machine (555-1111) is on both day and night.
- I have enclosed a self-addressed and stamped post card for your convenience. You can also reach me by phone or by fax.
- If I can provide you with more information or answer any questions, please call me at 555-5555.
- a personal meeting with you
- after considering my resume
- after reading my resume
- am eager to discuss
- answer any questions
- arrange an appointment
- at your convenience
- can make a valuable contribution
- can make an immediate contribution
- can be an asset to
- can reach me at
- current and future staffing needs
- discuss my qualifications with
- discuss my skills and your needs
- discuss in more detail
- do not hesitate to call
- enclosed a self-addressed and stamped
- explains my qualifications further
- have enclosed my resume
- hope you will take a moment to
- if you have any questions
- if you currently have a need for
- opportunity to speak with you
- a person with my qualifications
- please contact me if
- provide you with more information
- schedule a meeting with
- set up a meeting
- speak with you directly
- to offer your company
- will call your office next week
- would be happy to meet with you
- Cover Letters—Just How Important Are They?
- How to Interview for a Job
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- How to Write a Letter of Interest in a Job Search: 10 Tips
- How to Write Cover Letters
- How to Write the Perfect Cover Letter
- Informational resume
- Resume based on academic employment: the curriculum vita
- Resume based on job skills
- Resume based on job titles
- Resume based on work history
- Resume for a high school student or teenager
- Resume Format
- Resume portfolio for positions requiring artistic skill and experience
- Resume Reference Page
- Resume Tips
- Scannable Resume: 14 Tips
Still can't find the right words for your cover letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the cover letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective cover letter.
- Print your cover letter and send it!