This letter should state directly that you are applying for a specific position. After the introduction, the body of the letter should focus on your qualifications that best match the requirements for the position. Use statements noting your accomplishments whenever possible.
1. If applicable, tell the reader how you learned about the position and indicate that you are enclosing your resume.
- I am submitting the attached resume in response to your advertisement in the local paper for a process engineer.
- When we spoke yesterday, you indicated your need for a quality control manager. I am very interested in the position and am enclosing a brief resume.
- Thank you for faxing me the job description for the Lincoln City Recreation Director position. I am enclosing a brief resume including references to my experience in sports programs, both in Springfield and Centerville, Kansas.
- I am sending this resume in response to your announcement in the company employment list about the need for a technical support supervisor.
- I am responding to your advertisement in the newspaper for a photographer to work weekends.
- Thank you for discussing your plans for new software development with me. I would very much like to work on the project. I am enclosing my resume for your consideration.
- I appreciate the time that your secretary spent explaining the employment opportunities with your company. I am very interested in the position of stage manager, and will appreciate your review of my resume.
- I am sending this resume in response to your call for qualified athletic trainers.? I am applying for the 5th grade science teaching position currently available in your school.
- I am applying for the 5th grade science teaching position currently available in your school.
- I am presently seeking a process engineering position in the semiconductor industry.
- I have recently graduated from Doe University with an M.B.A. and am interested in applying for a management position in your firm. I have enclosed my resume for your consideration.
- Please consider my enclosed resume for a position involving software development in your company.
- Please accept the attached resume as my application for the newly opened sales position at your store.
- am applying for the position of
- am submitting the attached resume
- am interested in working for
- am very interested in
- am presently seeking
- appreciate the time you spent
- as my application for
- as referred to in my resume
- enclosing a resume
- for the position
- for your consideration
- have extensive experience in
- in response to
- indicated your need for
- our discussion about
- please accept the attached resume
- position in your company
- to your call for
- will appreciate your review of my
- would very much like to
- your advertisement for
2. Comment on any desires, qualifications, or experience that your resume may not adequately communicate.
- I have had significant experience with youth programs and have considerable knowledge of rules and regulations for several sports. I have good communication skills and work well with the public. My experience shows I can work productively without supervision.
- Because of my experience as a manager at a clothing retail store, I understand the value of an attractive presentation and a devoted, satisfied sales staff.
- While at Doe Incorporated, I sharpened my skills as an accountant.
- My work experience has been solely in software development.
- I believe that my skills would benefit your company's current efforts. During my years at Doe University, I was a member of an international dairy judging team. In 2001, our team placed second overall in a national competition and I placed first in the cheddar cheese category.
- My two years of working in quality control have provided me with opportunities to hold supervisory positions and to inspect a wide variety of commercially-fabricated products.
- In addition to my experience as a fabrication operator at Doe Semiconductors, I have also performed product testing for the past three years.
- a broad knowledge of
- a compelling interest in
- although my education was primarily in
- am most interested in
- because of my experience as
- can work without supervision
- enjoy working with
- feel that I can contribute to
- good communication skills
- have provided me with opportunities
- have always wanted to
- have had extensive experience
- in the field of
- in addition to my experience as
- make a difference to
- specialized knowledge in the field of
- started off as a hobby, but
- understand the value of
- want to work with
- work experience has been in
- would benefit your
- would like to broaden my experience in
3. Ask for an interview and close with a positive expression.
- I would like to meet with you to discuss employment with your firm.
- I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss my qualifications and your needs in greater detail. I will telephone your office early this Friday in the hope of making an appointment.
- I look forward to meeting with you.
- I will call next Monday to see if I can schedule an interview.
- Thank you for your consideration.
- Thank you for considering me for the position.
- I appreciate your review of my application.
- I will appreciate your consideration.
- can be reached by
- for your consideration
- in greater detail
- look forward to
- my qualifications and your needs
- thank you for
- the opportunity to
- to your response
- to meeting with you
- to discuss the possibility of
- to meet with you
- will be in Springfield on
- will call you on
- will telephone you
- would greatly appreciate
- would like to
- your consideration of my application
- your reviewing my
- Cover Letters—Just How Important Are They?
- How to Interview for a Job
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- How to Write a Letter of Interest in a Job Search: 10 Tips
- How to Write Cover Letters
- How to Write the Perfect Cover Letter
- Informational resume
- Resume based on academic employment: the curriculum vita
- Resume based on job skills
- Resume based on job titles
- Resume based on work history
- Resume for a high school student or teenager
- Resume Format
- Resume portfolio for positions requiring artistic skill and experience
- Resume Reference Page
- Resume Tips
- Scannable Resume: 14 Tips
Still can't find the right words for your cover letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the cover letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective cover letter.
- Print your cover letter and send it!