Explain your reasons for withdrawing the customer's credit option, using a courteous tone. You may want to maintain this customer's business, even if you must ask for cash payments from now on.
1. Inform the customer that payment is past due. State when it was due and indicate the amount.
- When reviewing your account, we found that you still owe us the $300.00 that you promised to pay two months ago.
- Your account balance of $720.00 has been overdue for five months.
- We at the Doe Corporation understand how difficult a financial setback can be, and have been generous in overlooking many of your late payments in the past. However, in reviewing your account this quarter, we have discovered that you have missed your last two payments.
- As the accompanying statement reveals, your account balance of $950.00 is four months past due and our records indicate that you have not made any payments for sixty days.
- You are probably aware that you have exceeded your credit limit by $300.00. This amount was due three months ago.
- We have enjoyed serving your company for the last year and regret telling you that your account balance of $30,000.00 has been past due since January 20.
- above your credit limit
- according to the terms agreed upon
- are unable to
- as the accompanying statement shows
- as you know
- failure to make payments
- has been past due since
- has been overdue for
- has remained above
- have missed your last two payments
- have done our best to
- have exceeded your credit limit
- have enjoyed serving
- have been more than generous
- late and missed payments
- must inform you that
- no longer meet our criteria for
- no payments have been made
- our records show that
- payments have been irregular
- regret to inform you
- the past-due amount is
- when reviewing your account
- your account balance is
2. Inform the customer that you are canceling the credit account.
- We regret that we are no longer able to do business on a credit basis.
- We regret that we must cancel your credit account.
- Due to your failure to pay your account balance, we are forced to close your credit account.
- Because you have been unable to make consistent payments on your credit account, we will need to make other arrangements with you to pay for our services.
- Because of these problems, we must reconsider your payment options and cancel your credit account.
- Effective immediately, we must discontinue your company's credit account.
- We hope that you will understand that we can no longer extend credit to your company.
- Our future dealings will have to be on a cash basis.
- We regret the necessity of canceling your credit account.
- are unfortunately unable to
- are obliged to close your
- as of March 1
- can no longer continue to
- can no longer extend
- close your credit account
- have reluctantly decided to
- hope that you will understand
- in the best interests of
- make other arrangements
- much to my regret
- must cancel your
- no longer meet our terms for
- no longer qualify for
- our continuing relationship
- pay your account balance
- regret to inform you
- to best serve your needs
- will take effect immediately
- withdraw your credit line
3. Offer an alternative plan for your customer to make payments and continue to do business with you.
- Please call our office so we can discuss a more suitable payment plan.
- We are eager to help you clear up this matter. Call us so we can set up a plan for you to resolve this debt.
- Although we are discontinuing your credit account, we would still like to serve your needs on a cash basis.
- We will, however, be happy to continue to serve you on a cash basis.
- We are aware of your current financial situation and will be happy to work with you towards getting your account paid in full as soon as possible.
- We will be happy to continue to provide you with our services on our standard terms of cash in advance.
- We must ask that all new orders be paid for prior to delivery.
- a more suitable arrangement
- are willing to arrange
- as soon as possible
- ask that you come in
- be paid for prior to
- clear up this matter
- continue to do business with you
- continue to serve your needs
- eager to help you to
- from this time on
- happy to work with you
- invite you to discuss with us
- make appropriate arrangements to
- must request payment in full upon
- on a cash-only basis
- set up a payment plan
- so we can discuss
- to meet at your convenience
- to be paid in cash
- while you settle your account
- work out a more suitable
- would like to continue
- would be happy to arrange
4. Thank the customer for past business and express your good wishes for his or her future.
- We have appreciated your business in the past and hope that you will find financial success in the future.
- We do not want this problem to leave any bad feelings between us. Please be assured that we appreciate your business and wish you well.
- Thank you for your business. It has been a pleasure serving you.
- We are grateful for your understanding.
- Let us know when you have overcome your present financial difficulties.
- We would be happy to resume our business relationship on a cash basis.
- We have appreciated doing business with you and hope this matter will be resolved soon.
- appreciate your business
- assure you that
- best wishes for the future
- grateful for your understanding
- has been a pleasure serving you
- have appreciated your business
- have enjoyed doing business with you
- hope that you will
- hope to continue to
- hope you will find financial success
- in the meantime
- let us know when
- look forward to the time when
- on a cash-only basis
- overcome your present difficulties
- please consider us again
- please let us know
- resume our business relationship
- satisfy our credit requirements
- sure you will understand
- thank you for your business
- thank you for the opportunity to
- trust that you understand the need for
- will be happy to
- wish you well
- wish you success in resolving your financial difficulties
Still can't find the right words for your credit letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the credit letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective credit letter.
- Print your credit letter and send it!