This letter's purpose is to notify a debtor that the bank returned a check due to insufficient funds. Since you still must recover the funds the debtor owes you, you should use a firm but courteous tone.
1. Notify your customer that the check he or she used for payment has been returned. Specifically mention the check number and amount.
- Your check #928 for $575.00, which you mailed to us for last month's rent, has been returned marked "insufficient funds."
- Your check #213 for $75.00 was returned to my office marked "Account closed."
- The check you gave our cashier in the amount of $212.67 was returned to us due to insufficient funds in your bank account.
- We received your check (#715) for $25.00; however, the bank has returned that check marked "insufficient funds."
- The check #2101 you sent us on May 5 in the amount of $53.69 has been returned from the bank stamped "insufficient funds."
- Enclosed is check #107 for $799.00. The bank returned it to us with an explanation that your account was overdrawn.
- enclosed is check #
- has been returned to us
- has again been returned to us
- have not heard from you since
- in the amount of
- insufficient funds in
- marked "insufficient fund."
- marked "Account close."
- redeposited your check
- returned to my office
- the bank has returned your check #
- the check you gave our cashier
- the check you sent us on
- was returned unpaid
- was returned by your bank
- which we deposited on
- which we received on
- which you mailed to us
- with an explanation that
2. Request immediate payment. Be specific about the type of payment you now require, such as a cashier's check or a money order. Specify the amount of any penalty to be added.
- To avoid a penalty, please pay the full amount due immediately with a cashier's check or money order. Payments not made by the end of this month are automatically registered with a collection agency.
- Please call us immediately to clear up this problem.
- I now must ask you to resubmit payment in the form of a money order or cashier's check.
- Please send us a new check for the full amount of your bill plus the $15.00 penalty before June 15.
- Please remedy this situation by sending us a money order for $49.99 ($29.99 for the outstanding bill plus $20.00 for the returned check fee).
- Please send us your payment within the week. If we receive your check before January 10, this overdraft will not adversely affect your credit line with us.
- We would appreciate a replacement payment by December 10.
- Because your bank account lacked sufficient reserves to cover your last check, we ask that you now send a money order or cashier's check for the full amount.
- a collection agency
- as well as the returned check charge of
- as a replacement
- ask that you now send
- avoid accruing additional interest
- avoid turning this over to
- avoid further problems
- balance is due immediately
- by return mail
- call us right away
- cashier's check or money order
- clear up this problem
- could negatively affect your
- in addition to the bank charge of
- keep your account current
- must receive payment by
- need to receive payment by
- pay by certified check
- pay your bill by
- please pay the full amount
- potential damage to your credit rating
- receive your payment within
- remedy this situation by
- resubmit payment in the form of
- send payment in the form of
- unless we receive payment by
3. Thank the customer for his or her cooperation in correcting the situation.
- Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
- We would appreciate your immediate and full cooperation.
- Thank you in advance for your prompt response. If I may assist you with this matter, call my office at 555-5555.
- It is extremely important that you act immediately. Thank you for your cooperation.
- as soon as possible
- assist you with this matter
- call my office at
- correcting this situation
- for your cooperation in this matter
- for your cooperation
- immediate and full cooperation
- in resolving this problem
- is extremely important that
- look forward to
- need not be reflected on your credit record
- resolve this situation
- resolve the matter immediately
- thank you for
- trust that you will
- understand our position
- will appreciate your
- will be happy to
- your prompt response
Still can't find the right words for your credit letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the credit letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective credit letter.
- Print your credit letter and send it!