This brief but important letter notifies a customer that he or she has overpaid you. It can serve as a very good customer relations letter. Avoid any hint of criticism.
1. Carefully explain how much the customer has overpaid.
- We recently received your check #719 for $230.00. This is an overpayment of $100 on the 13 June invoice.
- We think you will be pleased to know that you have overpaid us.
- Your bill for the month of September has been overpaid. We apologize for overcharging you $20.00 for that month.
- Enclosed is your check #281. Our records show that you already paid your February bill.
- Thank you for your prompt payment of $561.81. Although our billing invoice showed that amount due, you are entitled to a 3% discount for sending your payment within ten days of receiving the bill.
- We appreciate your payment of $195.00; however, we have adjusted our rates. Because the amount due was $155.00, you have a credit balance of $40.00.
- apologize for our
- apparently you paid
- appears to be an error in
- appreciate your payment of
- are not liable for
- are entitled to a discount
- enclosed is your check
- have overpaid us
- is an overpayment of
- mistakenly overcharged you
- neglected to deduct
- omitted to credit you with
- our statement showed
- received your check for
- regret any inconvenience
- resulting in an overpayment
- should have been deducted from
- thank you for your payment of
- the enclosed invoice reflects
- the amount you owed was
- your prompt payment of
2. Inform the client how you plan to correct the error.
- Unless you inform us otherwise, we will credit your account with the difference.
- We have credited your account $25.95 to correct this error.
- Enclosed is a refund check for that amount.
- Enclosed is a check for $30.00 to cover the amount overpaid.
- We are sorry for any inconvenience that our over billing may have caused you. We have already credited the $57.17 to your account. Your next statement will reflect that correction.
- Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you would rather have the $87.00 credited to your account or receive a refund check.
- Since you plan to close for the holidays, we have returned your check #291 for $284.00, instead of crediting your account.
- I have enclosed the $15.29 that you overpaid for my services.
- According to company policy, I have credited your account with the extra $91.00. If you would like us to handle this overpayment differently, please let me know and I will be happy to comply.
- a corrected statement
- according to company policy
- am returning your check for
- applied to your next order
- can be applied toward
- can either credit your account
- check for the amount overpaid
- credited to your account
- enclosed is a refund check
- have enclosed the
- if you would rather
- next statement will reflect
- prefer to have a check
- send us the proper amount within
- sent directly to you
- sorry for any inconvenience
- to correct this error
- unless you desire otherwise
- will credit your account
- with the difference
- your next purchase
- your next statement will
3. Offer additional service.
- If I can assist you further, contact me at 555-5555.
- We appreciate your business. Let us know if we can make the payment process easier for you.
- Thank you for your prompt and consistent payments. Let me know if you have any questions.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to call 555-5555 to speak with one of our customer service representatives.
- If we can be of further service, please call our office at 555-5555, or write to the address shown in our letterhead.
- I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about our billing processes.
- Enclosed is a copy of our billing guidelines and procedures. I hope you will find it useful.
- always a pleasure to
- appreciate your business
- be of further service
- can contact me at
- don't hesitate to call
- enclosed is a copy of
- if you have any questions
- if we can assist you further
- in the future
- in any way we can
- let us know if
- please feel free to
- regarding our billing process
- regarding this matter
- thank you for
- to answer any questions
- value your account
- will be happy to
- write to the address shown
- your prompt and consistent payments
- your revised statement