Be specific so that the reader knows what to do, when to do it, and what means to use.
1. Delegate the task directly.
- Would you please make arrangements for the visitors' tour of the plant next week?
- You have been assigned to direct the department's preparation for accreditation next June.
- I would like you to do a special project in order to improve our food service. As you know, there have been many complaints about the menu choices in the cafeteria.
- We have decided to bid on the Springfield Middle School construction project, and we need you to devote all of your time to preparing a bid for submission on April 30.
- Your work on the Doe account was so successful that we want you to head this year's advertising project.
- We have selected you to follow up on the Doe contract.
- a special project
- am turning over to you
- are confident that you
- because of your
- handle the arrangements for
- have decided to
- have been assigned
- have recommended you for
- have selected you to
- have chosen you to
- make arrangements for
- need you to
- the outstanding job you did on
- to assume responsibility for
- to make sure that
- want you to
- were the obvious choice for
- would like to have you
- would you please
- your previous experience with
2. Specifically state how you expect the reader to proceed.
- This task will include the following steps:<br /> 1. Confirm times with each department and make sure the assigned guides understand what to do.<br /> 2. Be sure that there are refreshments available for each group.
- You may wish to greet the guests yourself, but that can be delegated, if you are too busy.
- You worked with John on a similar project two years ago, so you are familiar with the process.
- Please come to a meeting in my office at 11 a.m. on Wednesday to discuss what needs to be done.
- Please collect the proposed menus for next month from the cafeteria manager, prepare a survey listing the choices, along with check-off options, and distribute the survey to all employees. Your biggest challenge will be getting the completed surveys back!
- You are aware of what needs to be done, so I won't attempt to micromanage this, but I would appreciate weekly reports on your progress.
- John Doe will provide technical support.
- are familiar with
- are already aware of
- confirm the final details
- discuss what needs to be done
- expect weekly reports
- get underway by
- have done this before
- have scheduled a meeting for
- in order to help
- information is available from
- involves the following steps
- keep me up-to-date on your progress
- know what is expected
- may wish to
- need this project to
- please note the time constraints
- report directly to
- the attached file
- to be completed by
- will include the following
- will have considerable freedom
3. Offer your assistance.
- I think you will find this task both interesting and enjoyable. If you need any help or further information, please call me.
- This is an enormous task, and all members of the department need to be involved. Your responsibility is, of course, to coordinate efforts, not to do all the work yourself.
- Kindly give this project top priority for the next few days. Jane will help with your normal duties.
- If you have any other tasks underway that cannot be shelved temporarily, please discuss them with John. We want you to be free to work on the bid.
- Let me know what assistance you will need, and I will do whatever I can to get it for you.
- Let me know when you have completed the job. If you need any help from my office, please call.
- are confident that you can
- can adjust your other duties
- feel free to call
- for further information
- happy to help you
- if you have any questions
- if you need any help
- let me know
- please discuss with me
- rely on you to
- see what can be arranged
- set up a meeting to
- use the resources of
- what assistance you will need
- what kind of help you will need
- when the job is complete
- will take over your
- will provide technical support
- will be available to
- will help you with
Still can't find the right words for your delegation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the delegation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective delegation letter.
- Print your delegation letter and send it!