Accurate reports and efficient paperwork enable an organization to function smoothly. Make directives regarding these matters clear and explicit.
1. State your request and give a deadline.
- The quarterly personnel reports are due in my office by June 30. Since they take some time to prepare, please don't leave them until the last minute.
- Your monthly report was due last Friday. Please have it on my desk before you go home today.
- Effective March 15, please submit your written reports within two days of returning from sales trips.
- I have not yet received your expense statement from your April trip to Springfield. Please submit this within the next week so that we can balance our books for the quarter.
- Please prepare your department's proposed budget for next year and get it to me by March 15.
- Please submit departmental reports within the first week after the end of the quarter.
- Please prepare a performance evaluation for each of the employees in your department, including job descriptions by March 15.
- I would like to have your reports by March 15, so I can use them during our annual interviews.
- Be sure to submit your time cards by 6:00 p.m. on Friday evenings.
- add any items
- are due on the
- as soon as possible
- budget projections for
- by close of business
- calculate your budget needs for
- complete the attached
- for final approval
- have it on my desk by
- have these ready for review by
- have not yet received
- keep written records of
- must be completed by
- must be submitted no later than
- must be ready by
- necessary in order to
- need your input
- please complete a
- please submit a written report
- prepare an evaluation of
- received after this deadline
- return this promptly to
- send me a copy of
- submit these within one week of
- submitted for initial review
2. Add explanations or details as necessary.
- This is the third monthly reminder I have sent to you. Kindly get your reports in on time.
- I need to present the final budget to the board on March 30.
- If you have any questions about this, please call me.
- Let me know if you have any questions about my request.
- I understand that these are estimates, but please use your records and be as accurate as you can.
- We trust that this decrease in paperwork will lead to an overall increase in productivity.
- A brief description of each employee's major strengths and any serious weaknesses would be helpful.
- We process the checks over the weekend, so if you submit the cards late, the checks will be a week late.
- discuss this further
- feel free to call
- for further information
- if you have any questions
- if you need help
- increase the efficiency of
- increased productivity
- iron out any details
- is available to
- late submission means
- let me know if
- need any further information
- need to present the
- pay careful attention to
- received after the deadline
- the processing of
- will result in
- without further delay
- would be helpful to
Still can't find the right words for your directive letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the directive letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective directive letter.
- Print your directive letter and send it!