Policies establish general guidelines for handling various situations. Deviation from these can cause far-reaching disruptions within the organization. Thus, the directive must be clear and precise, to avoid misunderstandings.
1. Identify the problem which has made the directive necessary.
- At Doe's we take pride in the service we provide for our clients. We need to look and act like the professionals we are.
- As you are aware, the company has received some unflattering publicity recently. The media has distorted comments made by several employees.
- This company's policy has always been to consider education and/or training, experience, and job performance in hiring and advancement decisions. Considerations of race and gender do not enter the picture. In recent months, however, questions have arisen about race and gender quotas.
- I would like to remind you that Doe Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
- In a manufacturing company like Doe Corporation, where moving machinery and equipment makes alertness essential, the use of drugs and/or alcohol creates danger for everyone. In the last two months several employees have been injured due to drug use either on or off the company property.
- A recent study of company phone use reveals a number of abuses that need to be corrected.
- a recent study
- appears to be a misunderstanding
- are concerned about
- are of major concern to
- as you are aware
- company policy is
- find it necessary to
- has become necessary to
- has come to my attention
- has been some uncertainty about
- have occurred recently
- have expressed concern that
- our policy has always been to
- problems have arisen
- questions have arisen
- several breaches of
- take pride in
- the policy of this company is
- the events of recent
- we need to
- would like to remind you that
2. State, summarize, or enclose a copy of the policy. Itemize the essential elements, if appropriate.
- We request that all employees adhere to the following dress and grooming policy:
- From now on, the following policies will be in effect:<br /> 1. Do not respond to any questions from reporters. Media Relations will handle all queries from the press and issue statements representing our position.<br /> 2. If any reporters persist in annoying you, please call my office.
- Please be assured that our long-standing policy has not changed. We will continue to hire and promote according to ability and will not practice any racial or gender discrimination.
- Our policy with regard to hiring and promotion is outlined on page twelve of the Employee Handbook. Please read and adhere to the guidelines.
- Consequently, a zero-tolerance drug policy has been put into place. This means that you are subject to immediate termination and loss of all benefits if you are arrested for drunk driving, dealing in or possessing drugs, or if you test positive on a random drug test. Refusing to take the test or tampering with test instrumentation will also result in termination.
- You are welcome to make local, personal phone calls during your break time. Making personal calls on company time is not acceptable. In an emergency, consult your supervisor, who has the authority to make an exception.
- adhere to the
- are welcome to
- be assured that
- effective immediately
- from now on
- has been put into place
- in the future
- in order to qualify for
- is outlined in
- is essential that
- is not acceptable
- is an important part of
- must be arranged through
- need to be consistent with
- policy with regard to
- policy will be enforced from
- read and adhere to
- request that all
- well in advance
- will continue to
- will not accept
- will help us to
3. Close by expressing appreciation and reiterating the importance of the information you have conveyed. Offer to respond to questions and problems.
- Thank you for your help in maintaining a professional atmosphere in the office.
- You have witnessed the problems that arise when employees share their opinions with reporters. We are proud of our work force and the excellent way you carry out your assignments. Please keep up the good work, stick to this policy, and let Media Relations do its job.
- If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact my office immediately. We treat all allegations of discrimination seriously, and we will investigate.
- Drugs and alcohol create serious problems, not just for the users but for everyone. The zero-tolerance policy will make Doe Corporation a safer workplace. Call the personnel office if you have any questions.
- Most employees use the telephones with intelligence and good sense. However, those who abuse the phone system will be subject to disciplinary action.
- a safer workplace
- appreciate your cooperation
- are proud of
- confirm in writing that
- cooperation is essential
- expect that
- for your cooperation in this regard
- for your help in this matter
- for your assistance
- for your protection and safety
- for further information
- if you have any problems with
- if you need any
- if you have any questions
- if you believe that
- no further breaches of this kind
- please see to it that
- thank you for
- will be happy to
- will be more pleasant for all
- will be subject to
Still can't find the right words for your directive letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the directive letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective directive letter.
- Print your directive letter and send it!