A good time to encourage your reader is after he or she has successfully completed a task. The written word has a motivational power that casual comments do not have. The tone of the letter is positive, motivating the reader to even higher standards of excellence.
1. Praise the work the reader has already done.
- The results are in, and we have exceeded our sales goal by almost 20%. This is exciting news. We should all be proud since it is the result of the tireless and dedicated effort of our sales team.
- I was very impressed by your presentation to the school board last Tuesday. You had obviously thought the matter through carefully, and you spoke eloquently and persuasively.
- Your innovative approach to seemingly impossible problems has been an inspiration to all of us through a very difficult year. You have helped us end the season in much better shape than we thought possible only a few months ago.
- Congratulations on closing over $200,000 of sales this month. Let me be the first to welcome you to this month's 200 club. You will be honored at our next sales meeting. Please be prepared to share some of your winning strategies.
- Your presentation with explanatory visuals was outstanding. I was especially impressed by the way you fielded tough questions from the press.
- I heard that Doe Corporation announced their final acceptance of our bid proposal today. I know you worked hard on this project and I thank you personally for your good work.
- You've done a great job of bringing up your math grade. I know it's been a struggle for you, and that B+ looks terrific.
- a significant achievement
- a great accomplishment
- all your hard work
- an inspiration to
- can be very proud of
- congratulations on your
- due in very large measure to
- hard work paid off
- have done a great job of
- have exceeded our
- innovative approach to
- is the result of
- let me be the first to
- not always been easy
- should be proud of
- so very pleased
- tireless effort to
- was greatly impressed by
- was especially impressed by
- were delighted by
- were so happy to hear
2. Motivate for future performance.
- We have every reason to believe that next year can be even stronger. Let's set our sights even higher. Exceeding this year's performance by another 25% is not unrealistic. All we need to do is to work hard and work smart.
- I do hope you will continue to keep abreast of educational issues and speak out for the benefit of our children. You are an asset to the community.
- The challenges are not over yet, but it is good to know that you are willing to tackle them head-on. Keep up the good work.
- Be ready for more assignments like this in the future.
- With your interpersonal skills and hard work, I have full confidence that we will be seeing you at more 200 club meetings.
- I look forward to seeing more of your work.
- Don't stop now. If you keep on the way you have been going, you should end up with an A!
- all we need to do is
- be ready for more
- can be even
- continue to perform
- continuing record of achievement
- even better than
- every reason to
- expecting great things from
- hope you will continue
- in the future
- is good to know that
- keep abreast of
- keep on going
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- need your continued
- never been a better time to
- not over yet
- set our sights even higher
- will end up with
3. Express appreciation and/or confidence in your reader and offer any appropriate assistance.
- Thank you for the great effort you made this year. I am proud to work with you.
- I am pleased to work with the finest sales force in the business.
- If you need any help, I would be happy to get involved.
- I am looking forward to having you with us and am sure that you will continue to be a great asset to the company.
- We are certainly proud to be associated with you.
- Your new position involves broader responsibilities and even higher expectations, but you have already shown that you can meet these challenges.
- We're all rooting for you.
- You have a bright future with the company.
- am looking forward to
- am confident that
- best wishes for
- bright outlook for
- continue to be a great asset
- express our appreciation in advance
- happy to support
- how much we appreciate
- if you need any
- keep this up
- know that you will
- meet the challenges of
- our continued association
- pleased to work with
- proud to work with
- sincerest thanks and congratulations
- thank you for
- want you to know
- with your help
- would be happy to
Still can't find the right words for your encouragement letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the encouragement letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective encouragement letter.
- Print your encouragement letter and send it!