Write this letter within a day or two of the telephone contact, with the primary goal of obtaining an interview or face-to-face meeting.
1. Remind the recipient of the telephone contact, expressing gratitude as appropriate.
- I appreciate the time you gave me yesterday to discuss the new position at Doe Corporation.
- Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions about the position at Doe Corporation.
- As we agreed in yesterday's conversation, I am enclosing a copy of my resume.
- In response to our telephone conversation of May 16, here is an updated copy of my resume.
- This letter is in response to your ad in The Springfield Gazette, and to our phone conversation this morning.
- During our telephone conversation yesterday afternoon, you offered to forward my resume to your Springfield office. Here is an updated copy that I would appreciate you sending. Thank you very much for your help.
- Thank you for describing the opening in your catering department at Doe Foods. I believe I can be of value to you.
- am enclosing a copy of my resume
- appreciate the time you gave me on Friday
- as per my telephone conversation with
- as we agreed in our conversation
- as you requested
- as you will recall
- believe that I can be of value to you
- for explaining the opening in your firm
- have completed my degree in
- have enclosed a copy of a letter of recommendation
- have enclosed my resume
- here is an updated copy
- in reference to our telephone conversation
- in response to our telephone discussion
- spoke about my qualifications
- tell you a little about myself
- thank you for taking the time to answer my questions about the position
- this letter confirms our meeting on
- this letter is in response to your ad
2. State why you are suitable for the position.
- As you will see from the enclosed resume, I have had considerable experience in production management. I believe I can make a significant contribution to the smooth running of your plant.
- As my resume shows, I have an excellent track record in working with subcontractors, and have consistently completed my projects on time and within the agreed-upon budget.
- As my career background and references show, I am meticulous and have a talent for anticipating and overcoming unforeseen difficulties.
- Since our conversation, I have completed my MFA and have designed logos for the following companies:
- My background includes three years of sales experience, during which time I more than doubled the annual sales in both of the areas to which I was assigned.
- You will see from the enclosed resume that I have many business contacts in the Rocky Mountain region, a network that would be of considerable value to your marketing efforts.
- You asked about my experience with computers. I am familiar with office suite applications in both the IBM and Macintosh operating systems. I also teach an evening class in word processing at our local community college.
- I am looking for a position that will offer both challenges and long-range career prospects.
- a network of relationships which would be valuable to
- am an articulate and bright professional
- am meticulous
- am a fanatic for attention to detail and excellence
- am confident that I can make similar contributions to
- am familiar with
- as my academic and career background reveal
- as my career background and references show
- as my resume shows in detail
- as is evident from my resume
- as you requested
- as you will see from the enclosed resume
- asked about my experience
- believe I can help you
- believe I can contribute a great deal to your firm
- believe I can make a significant contribution
- have had considerable experience
- have many business contacts in this area
- have an excellent track record
- have completed my degree
- have some excellent experience
- have had experience working with
- long-range career prospects
- my experience is directly related to the experience you require
- my background includes experience with
- my educational background provides a strong foundation
- my experiences as a receptionist are readily transferable
- my background includes
- offer nearly two years experience
- opportunity with potential
- present myself well
- since our previous conversation
- since we last spoke
- teach an evening class at our local community college
- that special position which
- will find an outline resume
- will offer a challenge and a career
- would really like to get back to a corporate environment
3. Request an interview or meeting.
- May I suggest a personal interview to discuss your needs and my qualifications in more detail? You can reach me at 555-5555.
- I realize how hard it can be to use a resume to judge a person's suitability for a particular position. I will be in Springfield next week and will call you to see if we might schedule a meeting.
- I will call you on Wednesday, June 21, to see if we can meet for further discussion.
- I am planning to make a move at the end of September, after I complete all my current projects. Please let me know when we might meet to discuss your needs.
- I will call you next week to find out when we might get together to discuss this matter further.
- You can reach me at 555-5555. I am interested in meeting with you to discuss what possibilities exist for us to work together.
- Resumes are of necessity brief and incomplete. I would be happy to meet with you or your clients to discuss how I can be of service.
- I look forward to continuing our telephone conversation in person.
- I would like to meet with you and show you some of the training materials I have developed.
- am interested in meeting with you
- arrange a mutually convenient time to meet
- can reached me directly at
- can reach me at
- decide when we might get together
- discuss what possibilities exist
- discuss how I can be of service to you
- discussion what possibilities exist
- find out when we might get together to discuss
- how I can contribute to your company
- if you have any questions
- let me know when we can meet to discuss your needs
- letters and resumes are not entirely satisfactory
- like to meet you
- look forward to continuing our telephone conversation in person
- please call me at my home, at 555-5555, or my work at
- resumes and letters cannot, by their nature, tell the entire story
- see if we can meet for further discussion
- set an appointment for further discussion
- suggest a personal interview to discuss your needs and my qualifications
- will call you to see if we might schedule a meeting at that time
- will be in Springfield on
- will contact you in the near future
- will be happy to discuss with you
- will be in your area
- would like to meet with you to discuss
- would welcome the opportunity to discuss
4. Close, if desired, with an additional positive statement.
- I admire Doe Corporation for its excellent products and outstanding customer service, and I would be happy to be associated with your company.
- I would be very pleased to lend my skills to a company of Doe's stature.
- Thank you for your consideration.
- Thank you for your time and consideration.
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- admire Doe Corporation for its excellence
- for your time in considering me for the position
- for your time and consideration
- for working out this time for us to meet
- happy to be associated with your organization
- look forward to hearing from you
- look forward to our meeting
- look forward to meeting with you
- thank you for your interest
- thank you for your flexibility
- thanks again
- to hear from you in the near future
- would consider it a tremendous opportunity
- would be very pleased to lend my skills to a company of this stature
Still can't find the right words for your follow-Up letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the follow-Up letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective follow-Up letter.
- Print your follow-Up letter and send it!