This letter reminds the employer of your name and qualifications, as well as your interest in securing the job.
1. Mention your previous contact, with just enough detail to identify yourself.
- I am writing to follow up on the letter and resume I sent you on February 16 last year. I am a systems analyst with four years of management experience.
- I want to thank you for your candor in explaining why you did not choose me for the position I interviewed for two years ago. I understand that you wanted someone with more than my one year of experience in health care administration. I now have three years of experience.
- I very much enjoyed our interview on March 12, regarding my application for the software engineer position. I understand that you had many applicants for the job.
- Nearly a year ago you and I met to discuss an opening in your sales department. We were in the process of setting up a second meeting when I called to let you know that I had accepted a position at Doe's.
- May I ask whether the position in your accounting office, for which I applied on January 30, is still open?
- am writing to follow-up on my inquiry for employment
- at that time I sent a cover letter and resume
- called to let you know I had accepted another position
- feel I should explain further
- have deactivated my file
- have renewed interest
- is the position I applied for last
- nearly a year ago we met to discuss an opening
- since I have not had a response, I can only infer
- the position I interviewed for last
- turned down your offer, but would like to reopen communications
- want to thank you for your candor in explaining why I did not receive the position
- wanted to thank you for our interview on
- were in the process of setting up a second meeting
2. Express continued interest in the position or the company.
- I am still in the market for a position that matches my qualifications.
- I hope you will consider me for other positions that may open in the maintenance department. I am eager to work for a company of Doe's stature.
- I was particularly interested in your ideas for educational software for very young children, and have been experimenting with my own preschooler.
- I realize that I may seem overqualified, but I am eager to gain the computer experience that this entry-level position would provide.
- For reasons I will review with you when we meet, I would like to make a move, so I am interested in reopening our discussions.
- I am still very interested in the job, and hope that you will consider me for it.
- a position that matches my qualifications
- am still in the market for a position
- am determined to be your choice
- am eager to work for a company of Doe's stature
- am still very interested in the position
- am eager to gain the experience
- as you continue your search
- feel we could both benefit from working together
- for reasons I will review with you when we meet
- have been experimenting
- hope you will consider me for this post
- hope you will consider me for other positions that may open
- if any positions become available
- keep my accomplishments in mind
- perhaps when you were looking
- realize that I may seem overqualified
- realize I must start somewhere
- sounds like something I would be interested in
- was particularly interested in your ideas
- would like to make a move
- am interested in reopening our discussion
3. Give additional information that shows your suitability for the position.
- I am willing to relocate, either within the United States or overseas.
- I have worked on several projects since our conversation, and am enclosing an updated copy of my resume.
- I have enclosed a resume, but, in brief, I have been working as a nurse for seventeen years. For the past five years I have specialized in emergency care.
- I enjoy office work and learn quickly, so I know I could make a positive contribution immediately.
- am enclosing an updated copy of my resume
- enjoy all the aspects of office work
- enjoy this type of work, and can learn quickly
- have enclosed a resume
- have worked on several projects since our conversation
- have enclosed a resume for your perusal
- have spent countless hours doing this type of work
- have confidence in my ability to learn
- must start somewhere
- send a copy of my most recent article with this letter
- so I know I could make a positive contribution immediately
- willing to relocate
4. Invite the reader's consideration and further contact.
- I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
- If any other suitable positions become available, I would be happy to hear from you.
- Please don't hesitate to call me at 555-5555.
- Please leave a message on my answering machine. I check it every hour or two, so I will be able to get back to you promptly.
- I hope we can get together soon. I will call you early next week.
- I would like to know soon so I can make appropriate arrangements. Please feel free to call me any time at 555-5555.
- don't hesitate to call me
- happy to send any additional information
- hope we can get together soon
- if you need an updated resume
- look forward to hearing from you
- look forward to speaking with you again
- other suitable positions open
- please feel free to call me any time
- please write or call me
- please leave a message on my answering machine
- so that I can make appropriate arrangements
- thank you for your time
- will call when you have a free moment
- will call you early next week
- will stay in touch with your permission
- will get back to you promptly
- would be happy to hear from you
- would like to know soon
- would like to know right away
Still can't find the right words for your follow-Up letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the follow-Up letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective follow-Up letter.
- Print your follow-Up letter and send it!