A sympathy letter accompanying a gift allows you to personalize your expression of sympathy. Such a letter is appropriate whenever you need to express sympathy for a death, an illness, an operation, or other hospital stay. These letters are usually brief and informal.
1. Express your sympathy and mention the gift.
- I was sorry to hear about your son's accident. I thought he might enjoy reading this novel that I enjoyed at his age.
- When I heard you would be in traction for at least a week, I knew just what to get you--a book of brain teasers.
- Jane and I were saddened to hear of your loss. Everyone in town knew and loved your mother. Please accept these flowers as our parting gift to a dear friend.
- I am sorry to hear you are down in bed. This potted plant comes with our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
- Since you will be in the hospital for a week, we thought you could do with a change from those breezy hospital gowns, so we all chipped in on this nightgown.
- a parting gift for a dear friend
- all chipped in towards
- am sorry to hear that
- as soon as I saw it I thought
- comes with our best wishes for
- had mentioned how much you like
- hope it will brighten up your day
- hope you will gain some comfort from
- hope you will have a speedy recovery
- hope that this will help to pass the time
- know that you enjoy
- knowing your great love of
- please accept these
- please accept our sincerest sympathy
- thought you might like
- thought he might enjoy this
- to help alleviate the boredom
- was sorry to hear about
- were saddened to hear of
- were so sorry to learn of
- will be sorely missed
- wish you an uneventful recovery
- wondered if you might enjoy
2. Express your condolences or best wishes.
- I hope John's recovery will be rapid. I will be in touch.
- I hope it will make the time pass more quickly!
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you in your bereavement.
- I hope you will be back on your feet soon.
- The whole department misses you, Sue. We look forward to your being back with us very soon.
- an energetic person like you
- anything at all we can do to help
- are all missing you very much
- are only a phone call away
- be sure to follow the doctor's prescribed routine
- be up and around soon
- be careful not to overdo it
- best wishes for a speedy recovery
- best wishes during this difficult time
- here for anything you may need
- hope you'll bounce back fast
- hope his recovery will be rapid
- hope you will be feeling better soon
- just a small token of our esteem for
- know how hard it must be
- like to help if I can
- look forward to seeing you back at
- make the time pass more quickly
- miss having you around
- need to spend some time
- please let me know when we may visit
- thoughts and prayers are with you
- would like to visit as soon as
Still can't find the right words for your goodwill letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the goodwill letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective goodwill letter.
- Print your goodwill letter and send it!