Send a Mother's Day or Father's Day letter with an appropriate printed card or alone. With this personalized letter you can expand on the traditional "Happy. . ." wish. This letter provides an opportunity to recall good memories of time spent with your parent or spouse. This is not a time to be shy. Tell your parent or spouse what makes him or her special to you.
1. Open with a greeting, and acknowledge the occasion.
- Well, it is Father's Day, and I have decided that a run-of-the-mill card just isn't good enough for MY DAD.
- Happy Mother's Day! I wanted to write a note to let you know I have been thinking about you a lot this year. There are so many reasons for me to thank and honor you, Mom.
- Mother, you mean so much to me.
- Happy Father's Day! John, you have been such a good father to our children. I cannot let the chance slip by to tell you how proud I am to share this family with you.
- Happy Mother's Day, Honey! Of all the decisions I have made in this life, marrying you was the best and most important of all. You are a fantastic wife and a wonderful mother. I am very thankful that our children have you for their mother.
- Jane, I feel so close to you, I want to honor you on Mother's Day. I am so grateful we have become good friends and that you are taking such good care of Dad.
- Just a few thoughts this Father's Day about what I think makes you such a great Dad.
- Honey, I want to take this chance to say something I say too rarely. You make me so happy and you are an inspiration to our children, in more ways than you can ever know. Happy Mother's Day!
- appreciate your strong leadership
- as the mother of our children
- as my role model
- Father's Day is a good time to
- for always being there
- for all you have done for me
- happy Mother's Day
- happy Father's Day
- in honor of Father's Day
- is hard to express my love and gratitude
- it's Father's Day
- just want to say that
- mean so much to me
- not just a Father, but a friend
- take this chance to
- the wonderful grandchildren you have given us
- this Mother's Day I want to
- to tell you how I feel about
- to see you and Dad
- to my favorite Mother
- to tell you how much I love you
- to show my thanks
- want to thank you for
- when you and Mom used to
2. Share a memory with your parent or spouse. Tell how you feel, why you love him or her, and add your wishes for a happy day.
- I can't help but think about the first few times we went fishing together. You must have been so frustrated with me. I am so grateful for those times and I want to share some more fishing time with you, Dad. I have chartered a boat so we can do some deep-sea fishing on the coast. Happy Father's Day!
- Mom, I really wish we could come out to see you and Dad for Mother's Day. I definitely liked it better when we all were together in the same town. I always remember the year we tried to have a Mother's Day picnic and nothing seemed to go right. But despite the rain and the parking ticket and the smashed cake, you made us feel as if it were the best Mother's Day ever. Well, I hope that you'll have a great Mother's Day this year. I love you, Mom.
- Now that I am a dad too, I am beginning to realize how difficult it must have been for you to spend as much time as you did with John and me. As a kid, I didn't think much about the many demands on your time, but you managed to get in a lot of quality time with us. I admire you and thank you for that.
- Mother, I am just now coming to realize how much I love and appreciate you. All my life you have stood behind me and provided me with the strength of your will and character. You have given me so much good in my life! I wish you the very best Mother's Day ever!
- Even though we have rarely seen eye-to-eye, and at times have fought tooth and nail, you must know how important you are to me. I remember the time I learned about respect from you. We were arguing about my moving out, and at a certain point your eyes lighted up. You folded your arms and backed off. I knew that while you didn't understand or approve, you respected my right to choose. I hope to show that same respect to my children. Thank you, Dad, and happy Father's Day!
- Everything I know about being a good person I learned from you. You were always the one willing to drop what you were doing to help a sick neighbor, or to put on the Den Mother hat. I never saw you refuse anyone a favor. It's a wonder you didn't collapse from exhaustion. This Mother's Day I am coming over and want you to leave everything to me. I'm going to pamper you.
- John, on your first Father's Day I want to tell you how much I love you and what a great father I know you will be. Before Eric was born I believed you'd make a good daddy, but seeing you with our son proves it. He is a lucky boy to have a Dad like you.
- always managed to cheer me up
- as I look at my own children
- because of your support I was able to
- can't help but think of
- childhood was a breeze with you as my
- do you remember when
- each time that you
- even when things went sour
- it hasn't always been easy
- love to think of the time we
- made me feel I was special
- prove to you that
- remember with fondness
- remember to this day
- seeing you two together
- still share that philosophy
- such a good example to me
- tell that story to my children
- used to make me laugh every time you
- used to tell me
- what a challenge I must have been
- while we were growing up
3. Reiterate your good wishes and close.
- If I could sing, Mom, I would march right over there and sing you a song. Happy Mother's Day! I love you!
- I am thinking about all the great years you've been my Dad, and want to thank you for them.
- Across the months and the miles, I never forget how important you are to me, Dad.
- Never in my life have I better understood a mother's responsibility. Mom, you deserve the finest Mother's Day of all.
- There are fathers, and then there are dads. Beyond that is a class of one: my dad! Here's wishing you a great Father's Day!
- I am so looking forward to seeing you and celebrating Mother's Day with you this year. I know it will be a good one for both of us.
- Since the day I first drew your Mother's Day cards with crayons, I have loved to honor you on your special day. Happy Mother's Day!
- all the things you taught me
- although we live so far apart
- always be your little girl
- always been there for me
- am better because of the times you
- are simply the best
- congratulations on surviving my childhood
- every day should be Father's Day
- have given so much of yourself
- have a wonderful Father's Day
- here's to the greatest Mom on earth
- how important you are to me
- how much I love you
- is hard to express my love for you
- just to know that you'll always be my
- keep up the good work
- see you looking so tired sometimes
- should be proud of how great I turned out
- think of you every day
- throughout the years
- too often overlook the important work mothers do
- want to take you out to lunch
- want only the best for you
- want you to know
- whenever you get the chance
Still can't find the right words for your holiday letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the holiday letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective holiday letter.
- Print your holiday letter and send it!