Since this event is a happy occasion, the invitation should reflect that positive feeling. Make it clear to the reader whether attendance is mandatory and who is invited.
1. Extend the invitation, naming the event and including the date, time, and place. You may mention other participants who will attend. Also, explain the purpose of the event: to honor someone, to celebrate an anniversary, to introduce a product or a service, etc.
- You are cordially invited to a reception on July 5, 2002, at 8:00 p.m. in the Director's Lounge in honor of John Doe on the occasion of his retirement from Doe Medical Center. Eric Johnson will be collecting for a gift for him. We suggest a $5.00 contribution.
- We are pleased to invite you to a cocktail party and private showing of the new Doe cosmetic line next Tuesday, March 1, at 7:00 p.m. at the Center Court of Jane's Place. Consultants will be on hand to answer your questions.
- We are reserving a seat for you at the official opening of the new science building on Thursday evening, October 5, at 6:30 p.m.
- We are having a surprise party next Tuesday afternoon to honor Eric Johnson on forty years of employment at Doe Corporation. He is still not planning to retire anytime soon! Please bring a gag gift for him.
- Doe Corporation will host an open house at the new plant on Wednesday afternoon, July 14, from 1:00 till 7:00 p.m. We would be honored if you would attend.
- With our recent record-breaking sales, we surely have something to celebrate this quarter. You are all invited to a party in the cafeteria, starting at 4 p.m. on Friday, September 2.
- The Doe Corporation cordially invites you and a partner to attend our customer appreciation dinner on Friday September 2, at 7:00 p.m., in the Springfield Hotel's Blue Room.
- We invite you to meet Professor Johnson, the inventor of the Doe processor, who is visiting from our head office. He will be with us early next week. The reception will take place on Tuesday, June 4, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., in the executive lunchroom.
- a reception to be held on
- a reception honoring
- an open house at our new
- are cordially invited to
- are reserving a seat for you at
- are delighted to invite you to
- are pleased to invite you to
- honored if you would attend
- hope you will be able to
- if you will be there
- in honor of
- invite you to attend
- invite the whole staff to
- join us for a
- many years of service
- meet me for lunch at
- official opening of
- on the occasion of
- please join us on
- private showing of
- request the pleasure of your company
- to celebrate with us
2. Mention whether refreshments will be served.
- Dinner will be served at 7:00 p.m.
- Be sure to let Jane know if you can make it, so that we can order sufficient refreshments.
- A buffet will follow the ceremony.
- Snacks and soft drinks will be provided.
- We will provide an open bar and refreshments.
- Lunch will be provided.
- We will meet in the lounge for cocktails at 6:00 p.m., and then go in to dinner.
- There will be a Scandinavian smorgasbord.
- Refreshments will be served after his speech.
- a banquet will follow
- a light luncheon
- complete with a lobster dinner
- enjoy some great food
- followed by a light buffet
- food there is excellent
- join us for lunch
- open bar and refreshments
- provide a no-host bar
- snacks and soft drinks
- take a break for lunch
- the food is excellent at
- will serve light refreshments
- will meet for drinks at
- will be served
- will provide refreshments
- will be provided
- will reserve a table for
- will be available
- your favorite restaurant
3. Express anticipation and ask for a response by a specific date.
- We look forward to seeing you again. R.S.V.P. by May 15, 2002.
- We anxiously await your response. Please respond by June 1.
- To help us plan, please let us know by April 1 whether you will be joining us.
- We will appreciate your response by December 20.
- We hope you will join us. R.S.V.P. by calling 555-5555 by May 30.
- We hope you can work this into your busy schedule.
- We believe you will enjoy yourself and we look forward to having you with us.
- Let Jane know by Monday if you plan to attend.
- Please let me know if you can make it.
- anxiously await your response
- give me a call on
- look forward to having you with us
- hope you will join us
- if you are free to join us
- if you are able to join us
- just call us at
- let me know how many will attend
- let us have your answer by
- look forward with pleasure to your acceptance
- look forward to hearing from you
- please note on the enclosed card
- please respond by
- please let us know
- please respond before
- R.S.V.P. by
- R.S.V.P. no later than
- R.S.V.P. - Regrets Only - 555-5555
- send your reply to
- to help us plan
- will appreciate hearing from you by
- work this into your busy schedule
- would appreciate an R.S.V.P. by
- write or phone by
Still can't find the right words for your invitation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the invitation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective invitation letter.
- Print your invitation letter and send it!