Be sure that the conditions to be negotiated are important enough to you that you are willing to jeopardize the offer rather than accept it as it is written. Be positive and respectful, and make sure that the reader realizes that you would like to accept the offer.
1. Express your pleasure at receiving the offer.
- I was delighted to receive your letter offering me the position of Head of Design at Doe Corporation.
- Thank you for offering me the opportunity to join your firm.
- Thank you for inviting me to join your team at Doe Electrical.
- I was very pleased to receive your offer of a position at Doe.
- Thank you for the job offer. I am eager to become part of such a dynamic team.
- I am excited for the opportunity to work in your sales department.
- Thank you for the job offer. I look forward to joining your department.
- great opportunity for
- inviting me to join your
- join your team
- join the staff of
- look forward to
- offering me a position
- such a dynamic
- the opportunity to work with
- to be a part of
- very inviting opportunity
- was so pleased to receive
- was happy to receive
- was delighted to receive
- your offer of employment
- your invitation to
2. Mention the condition(s) that you wish to modify, and how you wish to change it/them.
- You indicated in your letter that you would like me to start on February 1. Unfortunately, I am not available until February 15. I agreed with my current employer that I would complete the project I am presently working on, which will be complete by February 14.
- It will be necessary for me to move my family to Springfield. Your offer did not indicate whether relocation assistance is available.
- I will be able to start work on April 1 as you requested but will need to take 3 days leave at the end of April to assist my family in relocating to Springfield. I am aware that leave is not normally granted within one month of employment, and would like to know whether this will be possible.
- Your offer stated that employees are required to join the company medical insurance plan. I already have full medical coverage through my husband's employer, and request that I be exempted from this requirement. I will be happy to provide details of my existing coverage.
- In our interview, you mentioned the opportunity to purchase stock in the company. I wish to participate in such a program, but saw no information about this in your letter.
- The information brochure you sent me on the company indicated that child care is available for the children of some employees. As a single parent, I would like to use the child care facility, even if I do not qualify for the subsidy.
- I will not be able to arrive in Springfield until after June 5, but will be happy to telecommute before that time, if this would be acceptable to you.
- have to fulfill a commitment to
- is very important to me
- just one item that
- may not have considered
- may not be aware that
- mentioned previously that
- need to be aware of
- need to know whether
- request exemption from
- situation requires that
- special circumstances that require
- was not stated in the offer
- will not be able to
- will be unable to
- will take into consideration
- with the understanding that
- would it be possible
- would like to take advantage of
- would like to clarify
3. If appropriate, mention other conditions or details of the offer that you are able to accept.
- All the other conditions outlined in your offer are completely acceptable.
- Apart from this one difficulty, I am happy to accept the offer.
- Your benefits package is very generous, and I will be delighted to accept it as outlined in your offer.
- I am particularly pleased about the flexible hours you offer.
- I will be able to start the first week in September, as you requested.
- am happy to accept
- are most satisfactory
- are most acceptable
- as you requested
- as stipulated in the
- as outlined in your
- in every other respect
- other conditions are
- terms and conditions are
- understand and accept the other
- was pleased to see that
- will be able to
- will be pleased to
- will be delighted to
- will be most happy to
4. Indicate how you will make your next contact.
- I will call you on Tuesday to discuss this further.
- I would like to meet with you to discuss whether you can accommodate me in this, and will call to arrange an appointment.
- I will be in Springfield next Wednesday. Could we discuss our options over lunch?
- I would like to accept the offer, but need to discuss these details with you. I will call you on Friday.
- Would you be available to meet with me sometime this week so we can discuss this? I will call your secretary to set up a time.
- a mutually agreeable arrangement
- arrange a meeting
- can come to an agreement
- discuss our options
- discuss the details
- if this would be possible
- need to discuss this
- sometime during the next
- to set up a time to
- whether this would be feasible
- whether you can accommodate me
- will call you
- will call your secretary
- would like to meet with
- would you be available to
5. Reaffirm your interest in the job or company and express your confidence that you will be able to contribute to the company.
- I look forward to working with you.
- I am delighted by the prospect of working for Doe, and am confident that we will work together well.
- The job sounds exciting and challenging, and I look forward to starting work.
- I look forward to contributing to Doe's future success.
- I look forward to meeting my co-workers.
- I am eager to start work on the new project as soon as possible.
- am looking forward to
- am eager to
- am confident that
- as soon as possible
- confidence is not misplaced
- excited about the prospect of
- feel sure that I can
- getting to work on
- look forward to
- the confidence you have shown
- this exciting opportunity
- to join your team
- to start work on
- to work with you
- will be happy to serve