This letter is a positive statement of your best judgment. Your opinion may have a far-reaching effect, so make it defensible.
1. State your recommendation in the subject line or first sentence.
- After studying several competing models, I am pleased to recommend the purchase of the Q500 compressor.
- Our committee has voted unanimously to recommend that we use Doe's Lawn Care Service.
- After subjecting it to several laboratory tests, we find the Doe stainless steel hinge to be clearly superior to the one we are using. We therefore recommend that we use it in all our laboratory equipment.
- I recommend that we accept John Doe's suggestion.
- I recommend that we approve this purchase so our delivery personnel will have safer vehicles.
- Considering the time we spend repairing our equipment, I believe we would be farther ahead if we were to lease it. I recommend we look into that possibility.
- after careful study
- after studying several competing models
- after subjecting it to stringent testing
- after investigating several approaches
- after a thorough review of
- believe that it will be the best
- can best approach the problem by
- conduct a feasibility study
- enthusiastically recommend that we
- have seen impressive results
- have no hesitation in recommending
- is clearly superior to
- look into the possibility of
- recommend the introduction of
- recommend that we accept
- recommend that we change to
- suggest that we approve the
- take action immediately to
- the best way to curb the problem is
- will be in our best interests to
2. State the resulting benefits as succinctly as possible. The use of "bullets" to mark a list of benefits may be helpful.
- If we do this, the following benefits can be realized:<br /> - production time will decrease by 10%<br /> - morale will improve<br /> - employees' writing skills will improve<br /> - our product will have longer shelf-life<br /> - insurance costs will stabilize<br /> - we will be less vulnerable to litigation
- Our lawns would look more presentable, and our staff could spend more time doing their primary jobs.
- We could minimize the time lost on making repairs. In the end, we would probably save money because, although the machinery would be more expensive, our productivity would be greater. I also think it would give a big boost to employee morale.
- Everyone would be pleased to get another day off to prepare for the holidays, and business would not suffer.
- anticipate savings of
- be less vulnerable to
- benefits that can be realized
- benefits would offset costs
- can expect the following
- can achieve the following
- could spend more time on
- cut down on waste
- if we implement these
- improved morale throughout
- increased competitiveness
- increased long-term profitability
- keep on the cutting edge of
- maintain our reputation for
- minimize time lost on
- outweigh any objections
- place a greater emphasis on
- positive effects on
- provide incentives for
- see an improvement in
- significant benefits to
- the proposed restructuring
- will stabilize
- will be able to complete
- would see increased productivity
3. Close by restating the recommendation and suggesting action to follow. Provide a simple way for your reader to notify you of the decision.
- In short, buying the Q500 compressor makes good business sense. I will call tomorrow to see whether we should proceed.
- I am sold on the Q500 compressor. I hope its purchase will be approved.
- If the directors approve this recommendation, please call me to let me know.
- Since this new opportunity gives so many benefits to the company, I hope it will be approved.
- For these reasons, I recommend that we incorporate the committee's suggestion.
- I recommend that we wait until we get next month's figures before we announce a decision. In the meantime, we should notify the suppliers.
- If this recommendation meets with your approval, please initial the memo at the bottom and return it to me.
- I will call on Tuesday to see whether this recommendation has been accepted.
- I am pleased to recommend
- feel satisfied that
- for these reasons
- happy to answer your questions
- if this meets with your approval
- implement at least a pilot program
- implementation as soon as possible
- in making your decision
- in the meantime we should
- incorporate this recommendation
- is an excellent opportunity
- makes good business sense
- makes sense to act immediately
- recommend that we proceed
- recommend that we approve
- should act as soon as possible
- so beneficial to the
- was an easy decision
- will present this to the board
- will gain final approval
- How to Request a Recommendation Letter
- How to Write a Recommendation Letter
- How to Write a Reference Letter
- How to Write a Reference Page
- How to Write a Referral Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Recommendation Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Reference Letter
- Recommendation Letter Tips
- Write Recommendation Letters for Success
Still can't find the right words for your recommendation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the recommendation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective recommendation letter.
- Print your recommendation letter and send it!