A brief letter explaining why you are declining an order or request for information helps retain the goodwill of your reader.
1. Thank the reader for the order or request, or offer a compliment.
- Thank you for your letter requesting information on our new software program.
- We appreciate your interest in learning more about the laws pertaining to the custody of minor children in a divorce.
- We are pleased that you have chosen to open a furniture store in our area.
- Thank you for your order of two mini-trampolines.
- We appreciate your interest in Doe's American College Testing (ACT) Preparation Course.
- Thank you for ordering our new no-tip canoe.
- am sorry to report that we cannot send
- appreciate your interest in
- appreciate your kind comments
- appreciate receiving your order for
- are glad you enjoyed our editorial on
- greatly appreciated your enlightening comments
- especially appreciate your complimentary remarks
- greatly appreciate the order you placed with
- have received your November 3 letter requesting
- pleased to know of your interest in
- pleased that you have chosen to open
- so pleased to hear from you after you read
- than you for requesting information regarding our
- thank you for your letter
- thank you for your interest in learning more about
- thank you for ordering our new
- thank you for writing us about
- thank you for inquiring about our possible interest in
- thank you for your order
- thank you very much for inquiring about
- will find that we have reason to be proud of our
- your request for information about
2. Explain, if possible, why you are unable to fill the order or give the requested information. State the refusal briefly but clearly.
- Because our software is not yet copyrighted, we cannot yet release detailed information about the program to the public.
- Since we are a retail outlet, we cannot fill your order for 200 white muslin sheets.
- Since we are offering our mini-trampoline only as an incentive to purchase a Healthometer, it is not available as a separate item. I am therefore enclosing a refund check in the amount of $35.
- Because I am not legally representing you in this matter, I feel it would be inappropriate for me to give an opinion in what sounds like a complicated case.
- We have carefully developed this course over a number of years, and those who enroll with us are paying for our expertise. Thus, as I am sure you will understand, we cannot offer you free information on how to prepare for the ACT.
- Because our canoes have proven so popular and are individually handcrafted, we now have a five-year backlog on canoe orders. We are therefore not accepting new orders at this time.
- am sorry we no longer have these drawings
- are not available as a separate item
- as much as I appreciate your promptness in filling our
- as incentives to anyone buying
- as I am sure you will understand
- because each is individually handcrafted
- because I am not legally representing you in this matter
- because our software is not yet copyrighted
- booklet you requested is unavailable at the moment
- cannot supply you with the information you requested
- cannot fill your order for
- cannot offer you free information on
- carefully developed over a number of years
- cannot yet release detailed information to the public
- do not have the number of copies you requested available
- does not publish financial information outside the company
- enclosing a refund check in the amount of
- have run out and will not print any more this year
- in what sounds like a complicated case
- inappropriate for me to proffer an opinion
- information is not in a readily accessible form
- information is rather sensitive to our client
- not accepting new orders at this time
- now have a two-year backlog
- since we are a retail outlet
- since we are offering our
- sorry to say that we do not have completed brochures
- unable to accept an addition of this kind
- wish I could send you the material you asked for
- would like to grant your request for
- would be reluctant to offer them as teaching material
3. Close on a positive note.
- When we release our software, we will be happy to provide you with more complete information on its specific applications. Thank you for your interest in Doe Software Technologies.
- We wish you every success in your new business venture.
- Thank you for thinking of Doe's Health Products.
- Best wishes to you. I hope your efforts to resolve this matter meet with great success.
- Best wishes to you in your efforts to prepare for the test.
- We appreciate your interest in our canoe and look forward to hearing from you at a future time.
- after reviewing the enclosed information you will agree
- also appreciate receiving more information on
- appreciate your thinking of
- appreciate your interest in
- appreciate your views on how to improve
- best wishes to you
- best wishes as you develop your own
- happy to provide you with more complete information
- hope your efforts to resolve this matter meet with success
- let me know if we can assist you in other ways
- let me know if we can do anything else to help
- look forward to hearing from you at a future time
- please feel free to call me
- please write again
- sincerely thank you for your interest in
- thank you for your interest in
- thank you for thinking of
- thank you for writing
- wish you well in your project
- wish you success in finding
- wish you every success in your new business