The order of ideas in your request is not as important as making sure the relevant information is communicated. Generally, you will want to describe the item sent, explain when you sent it, and why.
1. Describe the item you sent. Tell when you sent it and why, as necessary.
- Last week we sent a new pair of pants to John for his birthday.
- We shipped your order of two dozen wigs by airmail last Tuesday.
- We put your vase in a special padded package and sent it parcel post last Friday.
- Has little John received the birthday present that I sent last month?
- We sent your suit last week with our usual airmail shipments.
- Because of the early deadline, we sent the data by special delivery.
- a gift subscription to
- according to our records
- am wondering if you received the
- as you requested
- as a gift for
- asked them to
- has she received the
- in response to your
- last month we sent
- mailed it on February 21
- mailed it directly to you
- ordered it from
- packed it as carefully as possible
- sent your order by insured post
- sent it by overnight mail
- sent it by surface mail
- sent it by parcel post
- shipped your order of
- should have arrived by now
- was sent last month
- with our usual shipment
- wrote to you concerning
2. Explain your concern.
- I understand that there was a postal strike in Kansas, so I wonder if he received it on time.
- I am afraid I may have inadvertently paid insufficient postage.
- I don't remember whether I put enough postage on the package.
- I have heard that mailboxes in your area have been vandalized lately.
- Mailing parcels abroad always causes me concern.
- If you haven't received it by now, please let me know so I can notify the shipping clerk.
- I hope that it made it through customs.
- I heard that one of the delivery company's trucks was in an accident.
- I know you have been very busy, but I have been anxious to know what he thought of it.
- I am afraid that I may have sent the wrong size.
- Please excuse our impatience, but we are anxious to know whether the samples we sent arrived in good condition. We have had some problems in the past with the delivery company.
- after the recent accident in
- always afraid of a problem with
- am wondering if you received
- getting items through customs
- have heard about the problems with
- have not yet heard
- have had problems in the past with
- have been difficulties with
- hope that it has arrived by now
- hope there was no problem with
- in view of the
- know how busy you are
- mailing goods overseas
- new delivery company
- not yet received your
- of quite significant value
- in spite of the most careful packaging
- understand that there has been
- was rather fragile
- wonder if perhaps
3. Ask the reader to let you know if or when the item was received.
- Please let me know whether he received the gift. I'm dying to know what he thought of it.
- Let me know whether he received it. If it is not the right size, I can exchange it quickly.
- If you haven't received the shipment by Friday, please call our department at 555-5555.
- Please call me collect as soon as you receive the shipment, so I can reassure the manager.
- I understand how busy you are, but I am anxious to know whether you received my letter.
- Could I trouble you to let me know when the vase arrived? It's important that I know.
- If the package hasn't arrived by Friday, I will have the Post Office put a tracer on it.
- am anxious to know
- as soon as possible
- as soon as you receive
- can be exchanged, if necessary
- can put a tracer on
- could I trouble you to
- if it has not yet arrived
- if it arrived in good condition
- if you haven't received the shipment by
- order was insured
- please call collect
- please let me know
- please call if
- regret any inconvenience
- should have reached you by
- so that we can
- take pride in our service
- whether you received
- would appreciate your
- would you be so kind as to
- would like to know
- How to Write a Request Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Request Letter
- Request Letters Made Easy: 15 Tips
Still can't find the right words for your request letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the request letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective request letter.
- Print your request letter and send it!