Before writing this letter, you may want to make a telephone inquiry about fees or other documents that should accompany it. Include in the letter as much relevant information as you can to help your reader find the document.
1. Ask for the document and inform the reader where to send it.
- I have lost my original marriage certificate. My name is John Doe and my wife's maiden name was Jane Smith. We were married June 1, 1957, in Springfield. Will you please send me a copy of our certificate to our home address shown below?
- My name is John Doe, and I graduated in December, 1989. Will you please send an official copy of my academic transcript to my employer? I have enclosed a return envelope for your convenience.
- I request your assistance in obtaining a copy of my divorce decree. My name is Jane Smith and my ex-husband's name is John Doe. We were divorced on June 1, 1985, in Lincoln County. Please send it to the following address:
- In order to make a claim against my father's life insurance policy, my mother needs to send a copy of my father's death certificate to the insurance company.
- I am applying for a passport, but I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. I was born on September 16, 1967, in Springfield, Kansas to John and Jane Doe. Will you please send the certificate to the following address:
- I appreciate the kindness you have shown during the course of my illness. Because of the gravity of my situation, I am sure you can understand my practical desire to seek a second opinion. Will you please send a copy of my medical records to Dr. John Doe at the address below?
- am applying for
- appreciate your cooperation
- cannot find my original
- could you send it directly to
- could you please provide a
- don't have a copy of
- has been lost
- has been mislaid
- have lost the original of
- help me to obtain a copy of
- kindly send a copy to
- kindly send me a copy of
- need to show a copy of
- need a certified copy of
- need your assistance in
- need four copies of
- need to provide a
- not permitted to photocopy
- please send it to
- send an official copy of
- to the following address
- my identification number is
2. If applicable, indicate that you have enclosed the required documents or fees.
- Enclosed is a money order for $16.00 to cover the costs of the document.
- I am enclosing a check for $5.50 to cover the cost of the certificate.
- I have enclosed the forms required for the release of my father's death certificate.
- The check for $10.00 is to cover the processing fees.
- I am sending the $7.45 you requested to release the document.
- a check in the amount of
- a money order for
- a check for
- an international postal coupon
- as arranged over the telephone
- for twenty-four hour service
- for airmail charges
- for the required amount
- have enclosed a
- matter is urgent
- notarized copies of
- the required documents
- the cost of express delivery
- the additional amount of
- to cover processing fees
- to cover the costs of
- trust that this will be satisfactory
- understand that there is no charge for
3. Thank the reader.
- Thank you for your assistance.
- I appreciate your cooperation.
- If I have not supplied enough information, please let me know. Thank you.
- Thank you for your help.
- I appreciate your help.
- I eagerly await your prompt reply.
- am eagerly awaiting
- appreciate your cooperation
- appreciate your assistance
- can call me at
- if this is not clear
- look forward to
- matter of some urgency
- need further information
- please let me know if
- receiving the documents
- thank you for your help
- thank you for your assistance
- would appreciate
- your prompt reply
- your expediting this
- How to Write a Request Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Request Letter
- Request Letters Made Easy: 15 Tips
Still can't find the right words for your request letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the request letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective request letter.
- Print your request letter and send it!