Be sincere and avoid flattery as you mention the special contributions the reader can make. Also, be sure to inform the reader that the position is voluntary and not paid.
1. Indicate the need for voluntary service.
- It's a new year, which means that we need a new president.
- As you already know, John Doe has stepped down from his position, thus leaving an empty chair on the board.
- Every year Doe Hospital recruits dozens of service-oriented, dependable young people to volunteer at the hospital.
- I am pleased to notify you that our association's chairperson has submitted your name for the open position on our activities committee.
- Our organization is forming a relief effort committee to serve those members of our city who need temporary shelter, food, and clothing. We currently need fifty volunteers to get this project running.
- The Doe Society will be holding a panel lecture series throughout the year. The topic is self analysis, and we need experienced professionals like you to serve as volunteers on the panels.
- an ever-increasing need
- are looking for
- as you know
- dedicated group of volunteers
- fund-raising drive
- get this project going
- is a great need for
- it is time to recruit
- it is time for us to
- looking for volunteers to
- need to find a new
- need to organize
- need volunteers for
- need a new
- people with experience in
- people committed to
- preparing for our annual
- qualified and experienced
- will be holding a
- willing to serve as
2. Ask the reader to volunteer his or her service.
- When one of the board members mentioned your name as a candidate, we voted unanimously that you are the right person for the job. We will be delighted if you accept this important challenge.
- I want you to fill the vacancy.
- Young people like you with an abundance of ideas and energy are exactly what we are searching for. Will you come and serve with us?
- We are pleased to offer you the position if you will accept.
- Our organization is based on service. Will you join our ranks?
- Naturally, you were our first choice for the panel and we will be delighted if you will accept our invitation to serve on it.
- We hope you will agree to join our committee.
- I encourage you to give serious thought to accepting this rewarding position.
- accept this important challenge
- are pleased to offer you
- be willing to accept
- give serious thought to
- hope that you will
- hope you can
- invite you to
- join our ranks
- mention your name
- name has been submitted
- right person for the job
- suggested your name
- very rewarding work
- vote was unanimous
- want you to
- were our first choice for
- were nominated by
- will you take on this
- would you be willing to
- would be delighted if
- your name came to mind
3. Tell the reader why he or she is qualified to volunteer his or her services.
- I assure you that our decision was not blind. We carefully reviewed all of the candidates and are confident that you are the correct choice.
- Your background as an RN more than qualifies you for this voluntary position.
- Even though we need our professional, experienced staff to make sure that our organization runs efficiently and smoothly, we also need young people like you who will bring in fresh insight and a passion for the work.
- We need stability and confidence, and I think you can give us both.
- I have always admired your dedication to your work and to your family and I know you will be a tremendous asset to our organization.
- Your charitable nature makes you the obvious choice.
- Your reputation for honesty and directness will be invaluable.
- Your expertise in this field more than qualifies you for the position.
- a powerful advocate for
- are confident that
- are the obvious choice
- are certainly qualified to
- are well known for
- believe that you can
- carefully reviewed all of
- have always been
- have always admired your
- in the forefront of those
- know that you
- leading the fight against
- more than qualifies you for
- the work you have done with
- the most important qualification is
- the reliability you have shown
- will be a great asset
- will be invaluable
- your expertise in
- your experience as
- your willingness to
- your knowledge of the
4. Explain what will be expected of the reader or offer to meet to discuss the position.
- I am sure you already know that this position will require a great deal of effort on your part.
- You will be responsible for selecting your own committee members and for organizing all of our events throughout the year.
- We ask that each volunteer donate a minimum of five hours per week toward our cause.
- This position requires a great deal of time and effort, but the rewards are great too.
- I will contact you later this week to discuss the responsibilities of this position.
- The committee meets once each week to plan, organize, and delegate responsibilities for our six annual charity events.
- I will drop by your office by the end of the week to discuss the position further.
- a great deal of time and effort
- a minimum period of
- as you already know
- ask that each volunteer
- ask you to
- attend the training
- commitment would be for
- commitment would be limited to
- discuss this further
- donate four hours each week
- find it very rewarding
- for organizing our
- happy to answer your
- meets once each
- responsibilities are as follows
- take responsibility for
- will call you
- will drop by
- will be responsible for
- will contact you
5. Encourage a response or arrange to follow up.
- Thank you for your diligence in the past.
- I hope to hear from you soon.
- I look forward to receiving your reply.
- We will be honored if you will accept. Please let us know in the near future.
- Please give this idea some consideration and call me.
- We need your answer as soon as possible.
- Please notify us if you can join us.
- Please give this some thought. I will call you next week.
- I will call for your response.
- appreciate your consideration
- as soon as possible
- as soon as you can
- hearing from you
- hope you will consider this
- hope to hear from you
- if you can
- if you will be able to
- let me know
- look forward to
- need your answer
- need to get started by
- need to know by
- please give this
- please let us know
- receiving your reply
- thank you for
- will be honored if
- will call for your response
- will call you early next
- working with you again
- your serious consideration
- How to Write a Request Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Request Letter
- Request Letters Made Easy: 15 Tips
Still can't find the right words for your request letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the request letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective request letter.
- Print your request letter and send it!