If you are forced to either resign from a position or be discharged, your resignation letter may be short and abrupt. No explanations are necessary; recriminations are usually pointless.
1. Make a direct statement that you are resigning. Include the job or position title and an effective date. Technically, this is all the information necessary.
- Effective immediately, I am resigning from my position as comptroller.
- Pursuant to our conversation this morning, I am resigning from my position as Security Chief, effective Friday, April 12.
- I hereby submit this letter of resignation, effective today.
- At your specific request, I am submitting this letter of resignation, effective at your convenience, but I am doing so under protest.
- You have made it clear that my services in this company are no longer needed, so I am submitting my resignation with an effective date of noon today, May 12.
- after considerable thought and soul searching
- after considerable thought, I have decided to
- although I enjoy my position as
- although I enjoy my work
- as of this date, I am formally resigning as
- as soon as you find a replacement
- circumstances require that I resign my position as
- doing so under protest
- effective on the last day of this month
- effective at your convenience, but no later than
- effective immediately
- feel that the change will be beneficial to all parties
- final date of employment will be
- have no choice but to resign
- hereby submit my resignation as
- hereby resign from my position with
- leave the company by the end of this month
- made this decision after months of deliberation
- must leave no later than
- offer my resignation as
- please accept my resignation as
- please consider this my official resignation
- recent events require that
- required two-week notice
- submit this resignation under protest
- to notify you that
- to inform you that
- will be leaving my position as
- wish this resignation to take effect on
- with some sadness I submit
- with great reluctance I am submitting my resignation
- with some sadness that I
- with much reluctance and regret
- with deep regret that after
- would like to leave as soon as possible
2. State the reasons, if appropriate, but very briefly.
- Your understanding of the present situation is not entirely accurate.
- I have no desire to work in a company where my contributions as Chemical Engineer are not fully appreciated and inadequately compensated.
- Your perception of the quality of my work is not substantiated, either by my employee evaluation reports or by my sales commission records.
- I submit this resignation under protest and vigorously assert my innocence in these allegations. I will be consulting with my attorney about this matter, and we will take any action necessary to clear my name.
- I am sorry that we lost the Doe contract, but there is more to the story than you know
- you are no doubt aware
- cannot accept your reasoning
- determined to overcome
- feel strongly about
- has reached a point that
- have made a substantial contribution to the company
- have come to the realization
- have met with you several times
- if there are any problems
- if the circumstances were encouraging
- is not intended to reflect adversely upon
- makes it impossible to continue
- more to the story than you know
- my employee evaluations and ratings have always been very high
- my first priority at this time is
- need to clear my name
- seeking professional help for my problem
- unfortunately, you are misinformed
- vigorously assert my innocence in these allegations
- will be consulting with my attorney
- will take all necessary action
- with mixed emotions
- would be an understatement to say
3. Express gratitude, if appropriate, for job experience and work relationships.
- I want to thank you for all the help you have given me during the past few years.
- Among the many enjoyable aspects of my job are the friendly relationships I have developed here.
- The knowledge and experience I have gained in the last few years are invaluable.
- Please express my appreciation to those in the division who have supported me so well these past months.
- Although we differ in the way we handle problems, I appreciate your commitment to producing a professional product.
- accept my thanks for the opportunity you gave me to
- always remember your consideration
- am grateful for the opportunity to work with
- best wishes to all of you for
- best wishes to you always
- best wishes for the future success of
- experience gained during my association with
- experience working with you has been invaluable
- express my sincere appreciation to
- for the guidance you gave me
- had the opportunity to work with such a dedicated group of people
- opportunity to earn my degree at night school through
- will always remember the personal attention
4. Establish, if you want to, that your files and current projects are in order.
- My books and records are in order, and I have prepared progress reports detailing the status of my current projects. I will be happy to respond to any questions you or my replacement may have about my work.
- My staff is quite capable of carrying on until a replacement is appointed. I would even suggest promoting my assistant, Jane Doe, to be the new department head.
- You will find that all of my files are as they should be--up to date and in proper order. I will, of course, remove my personal property from the office.
- be happy to assist with training my replacement
- before taking my leave
- finish the projects before my departure
- glad to help train my replacement
- happy to assist you in finding a suitable replacement
- happy to respond to any questions
- make sure that the transition goes smoothly
- my books and records are in proper order
- orient the new person
- prepare status reports with sufficient detail for my successor
- willing to stay for a reasonable amount of time to train my replacement
- would suggest promoting my assistant to
- How to Write a Resignation Letter
- How to Write the Perfect Resignation Letter
- Resigning your way to success...your ticket to good references for future jobs
- Writing Your Way to Success: Resignation Letters
Still can't find the right words for your resignation letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the resignation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective resignation letter.
- Print your resignation letter and send it!