Send this expression of thanks within a few days after the event.
1. As you express thanks, mention the event or circumstance involved.
- Thank you for your hospitality in showing me around the university campus last week.
- Thank you for including us in your special evening of music. I can't remember when I've had a more enjoyable time.
- John, just a note to thank you and Jane for your hospitality in having us over when we passed through Springfield last week.
- Thank you so much for your kindness in letting our group use your home to prepare for our presentation.
- Thank you for inviting us to your open house. It was a wonderful evening.
- The dinner you gave for our faculty was simply superb.
- I want to thank you and Jane for making my first business trip to Springfield such a pleasant one.
- appreciate your hospitality
- can't remember when I have had a more enjoyable time
- enjoyed being your guest
- felt like one of the family
- felt right at home
- for having us over for
- for inviting me
- for letting us use your home for
- for your kindness and thoughtfulness
- for a wonderful evening
- for including us in your
- for your hospitality
- how much we enjoyed
- how much I appreciated
- inviting us to be a part of
- many thanks to a wonderful host and hostess
- received us with open arms
- thank you so much for
- thank you for
- thanks again for
- thoroughly enjoyed your
- want you to know how much
- want to let you know
- want to thank you and your
- was a privilege to
- was so thoughtful of you
- was a great pleasure to
- was very impressed with
- wish to thank you for
- wish to express my gratitude for
2. Add specific comments about what you enjoyed, and mention details about the reader's thoughtfulness.
- I was especially impressed by the new humanities building and the computer facilities that seem to be everywhere. It was very thoughtful of you to include my father in the tour. We all appreciated your friendly gesture.
- The entire program, combined with your gracious hospitality, made the evening one we will always remember. You even remembered that I love Mozart's piano concertos. Thank you very much.
- We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and the lasagna was terrific! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- We never expected you to go to so much effort in preparing refreshments for us.
- The view you have of the mountains is spectacular, and I especially like the openness of your new office complex. You seem to have thought of everything.
- The food was delicious, the program uplifting, and the conversation delightful. And, as always, you were a charming hostess.
- It was very kind of you to take the time to show me the sights.
- always look forward to
- an outstanding program
- an occasion we will always remember
- an evening to remember
- an unforgettable experience
- appreciate your thoughtfulness
- are looking forward to
- can certainly be proud of
- conversation was delightful
- didn't want it to end
- enjoyed being exposed to
- especially enjoyed the
- even remembered that
- food was delicious
- for sharing such a memorable event with us
- for taking us to
- for showing us the
- just being in your company
- particularly enjoyed the
- seem to have thought of everything
- such a memorable event
- thanks for sharing the
- thoroughly enjoyed ourselves
- very kind of you to
- very thoughtful of you to
- was particularly impressed with
- went to so much effort in preparing
3. If you feel so inclined, offer to reciprocate.
- If you ever come to Springfield, we would like to return the kindness and show you the university.
- I hope we can repay you in some way.
- We look forward to your visit next August.
- You are a wonderful example for the rest of us to follow.
- Perhaps one day we will be able to have our own open house--if all goes well.
- We hope you will join us when we hold our graduation dinner in May.
- I expect to reciprocate when the national convention is held in Kansas.
- Thank you for the home cooked meal and the friendly conversation.
- accept my invitation
- always welcome to stay
- don't forget the standing invitation
- expect to reciprocate
- hope you will join us
- hope to set up a tour
- hope you will allow me to
- if you plan to visit
- if there's ever a way
- if you feel inclined to
- if you ever come to
- let us return the kindness
- like to have you as my guest
- look forward to your visit in
- next time you are in town
- perhaps one day
- please stop by
- return the favor
- show you our city
- the next time you are in
- the opportunity to reciprocate
- want to share
- want you to experience
- want to keep in touch
- when we hold our
- whenever you are in Springfield
- would be my pleasure
- would like to return the kindness
- would be a privilege to
- would like to show you around
- would like you to see
- would like to entertain you
Still can't find the right words for your thank-you letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the thank-you letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective thank-you letter.
- Print your thank-you letter and send it!