Most fax programs provide a cover sheet to identify who is sending the document and to whom it is addressed. If you choose to have your own cover sheet (letter), it will be very brief, providing only the most essential information. Set up the page in memo form.
1. Identify the person to whom you are sending the fax by name and by organizational role or department. Also identify his or her company or organization. If you don't have names, address the fax to a department. Include the fax number of the person to whom you are sending the message. Alternatively, you can use an "attention" line to route the message.
- TO: John Doe, President<br /> Doe Associates<br /> Fax: 555-5555
- TO: Customer Service Department<br /> Doe Corp<br /> Fax: 555-5555
- ATTENTION: John Doe<br /> Doe Corp.<br /> Fax: 555-5555
2. Identify yourself by name, organizational role, and organization. Include phone and fax numbers, as well as your street address. Also give the date and time of your transmission if it is not otherwise provided, and indicate how many pages you are sending.
- FROM: Eric Johnson, Vice President<br /> Doe Manufacturing Company<br /> 1600 Main Street<br /> Springfield, Kansas 12345<br /> Phone: 555-5555<br /> Fax: 555-5555
- DATE: August 26, 1998. 12:30 p.m.
- NUMBER OF PAGES SENT: Cover sheet plus 2 pages
3. Provide a subject line to briefly state the purpose or focus of your communication. A functional subject line will identify the topic of the message and say something about it.
- Subject: Correction to design specifications on contract #23456
- Regarding: Revised bid on Smith Project
- Subject: Information you requested on business applications software
- Subject: Today's progress in negotiations with Doe Corporation
- Subject: Police accident report for John Doe claim #12345
Still can't find the right words for your transmittal letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the transmittal letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective transmittal letter.
- Print your transmittal letter and send it!