Include this letter with a manuscript you are submitting to a newspaper, journal, magazine, or book publisher to be considered for publication.
1. Identify the manuscript and your purpose in sending it.
- Attached is a manuscript titled "Seismic Retrofitting of Highway Bridges." Will you please consider the paper for publication in a future issue of your magazine?
- I am submitting the enclosed manuscript for publication in your newsletter.
- Will you please consider the enclosed book manuscript on office management for publication by Business Press?
- I am a free-lance writer specializing in books and articles on issues in business management. Will you please consider the attached article on "Unstoppable Businesswomen" for publication in the next issue of your magazine?
- In response to your request for short articles on local businesses and business people, I am submitting the attached biography of John Doe, a long-time business leader in the Springfield area. Will you please consider it for publication in a forthcoming issue of the magazine?
- article detailing the effects
- attached biography for publication
- book manuscript entitled
- complete account of
- consider it for publication
- for publication in an issue of
- free-lance writer
- in search of a publisher
- in response to your request
- please read it and comment
- please consider the enclosed
- responding to your call for
- review the enclosed manuscript
- short story to be considered for
- short articles about recent
- specializing in books and articles
- the enclosed manuscript
- writing for a local newspaper
2. Provide a brief summary or abstract of the paper, indicating why it would be important to publish.
- The manuscript describes the most common type of bridge failures during seismic activity and suggests innovative ways in which engineers might prevent the damage. I believe the state engineers will be very interested in the paper.
- The paper describes recent innovations at Doe Manufacturing Company that could revolutionize the roofing industry.
- The paper is in response to your recent request for articles on operations management in small companies. I have interviewed a number of successful business men and women in the Springfield area and have analyzed their business strategies. I believe your readers would be very interested in my findings.
- Stevens had a long career with the Doe Company as a manager of problem stores in Seattle and Detroit. After retirement, he started his own chain of stores in Kansas and Iowa. The three Doe stores have a reputation for high quality merchandise and competitive prices.
- The paper is based on interviews with local businesswomen who have gained prominence in the community. It describes the problems they have encountered and the strategies they used to succeed where others had failed.
- an insightful study
- analyzes specific strategies
- as part of my research
- based on the life of
- based on surveys conducted by
- comical description of
- describes recent innovations
- description of the problems that
- details recent developments in
- have interviewed several
- light-hearted sketch of a young boy
- manuscript describes
- never before presented in
- new development in the field of
- on-site interview with
- outlines the development of
- paper is based on
- provides an insight
- real-life story
- suggests possible solutions
- surveys resulting in
- will have broad appeal
3. Close by encouraging the editor's response.
- I look forward to your response and will appreciate helpful comments.
- If the piece is too long or requires other editorial changes, I am willing to be accommodating.
- I have published a number of articles in regional business journals and magazines, but I think I am ready for publication in venues with wider circulation. I am, therefore, looking forward to your response.
- If the piece needs to be focused or adapted more narrowly to your audience, I will be happy to work with your suggestions.
- Thanks for looking at the manuscript. I look forward to your reply.
- appreciate comments you may have
- helpful suggestions you could make
- hope it meets with approval
- look forward to hearing from you
- look forward to your reply
- thank you for your time
- to improve upon what I have
- to comply with your needs
- welcome your suggestions
- willing to make changes
- would like feedback